What is Anxiety Disorder?

RevDrAngela
Let’s face it, our society has everyone in a tizzy. We want everything faster, quicker, now and right now! With stress levels so high, more and more cases of anxiety related issues are being diagnosed. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, anxiety disorders affect 40 million Americans yearly. Unlike the anxiety caused by a single stressful event, anxiety disorders last 6 months or more and can get worse if not treated.

So what is anxiety or anxiety disorder?

Anxiety is a normal, natural and sometimes necessary emotion. It’s an adaptive response to stress and danger. Anxiety helps people to cope with a tense situation and can even motivate us to work harder. In some cases, it makes us focus on solving an important problem or coming up with a solution. In general, it helps us manage many challenges in our daily lives.

For some, anxiety can become excessive, irrational and even debilitating. However, when anxiety interferes with our ability to function in daily life it may be due to a medical condition called anxiety disorder. When worries and fears prevent you from living life the way you'd like, or from being in a loving healthy relationship, you should consider contacting a counselor or anxiety therapist for a complete evaluation.

Anxiety Disorder Symptoms

Each person suffering from anxiety disorder has unique symptoms, however a common theme involves excessive anxiety, irrational fear and dread. Examples of anxiety symptoms include:

• Chest pain or Heart Palpitations
• An inability to be still and calm
• Feelings of panic, fear, and nervousness
• Uncontrollable, obsessive thinking
• Repeated thoughts of traumatic events
• Nightmares, problems sleeping
• Excessive sweating or numbness in the hands or feet
• Shortness of breath, hyperventilation
• Dry mouth, Nausea, Dizziness

Before a treatment can be administered, a patient will need to be evaluated by a physician to determine if the symptoms of concern are caused by an anxiety disorder or another medical condition.

If your doctor has diagnosed you with a anxiety disorder and you wish to start counseling, New Life Pastoral Counseling can assist you. Take the first step, by contacting us or scheduling an appointment for a free consultation.

It's never to late - give us a call.