Mother's Day Honors Mother!

etiquetteguy
Happy Mother’s Day

Tomorrow marks the 102nd celebration of Mother’s Day in Canada. But where did it all begin? One of the earliest historical records of a society celebrating a Mother deity can be found among the ancient Egyptians, who held an annual festival to honor the goddess Isis, who was commonly regarded as the Mother of the pharaohs. In ancient Greece when people celebrated a holiday in honor of Rhea, mother of the gods. Ancient Romans celebrated a holiday in honor of Cybele, a mother goddess, from March 22nd to 25th. The celebrations were notorious enough that followers of Cybele were banished from Rome. In the British Isles and Celtic Europe, the goddess Brigid, and later her successor St. Brigid, were honored with a spring Mother's Day, connected with the first milk of the ewes. Mothering Sunday was celebrated in Britain beginning in the 17th century. It began as a day when apprentices and servants could return home for the day to visit their mothers. They often brought a gift with them, often a "mothering cake" - a kind of fruitcake or fruit-filled pastry known as simnels. Furmety, a sweetened boiled cereal dish, was often served at the family dinner during Mothering Sunday celebrations. By the 19th century, the holiday had almost completely died out. After WWII, however, the islanders once again picked up the tradition, inspired largely by the United States. Today the UK’s Mother’s Day continues in much the same way as the old tradition, with cards and dinners in honor of Mom.
The first North American Mother’s Day was conceptualized by Julia Ward Howe who wrote a Mother’s Day Proclamation in 1870. Howe had become distraught by the death and carnage of the Civil War and called on mothers to come together. Howe proposed the idea that became what is known as Mother’s Day today. A West Virginia women’s group led by Anna Reeves Jarvis began to celebrate an adaptation of Howe’s holiday in an attempt to re-unite families and neighbors that had been divided by the Civil War. By 1909 forty-six states were holding Mother's Day services as well as parts of Canada and Mexico. In 1912 West Virginia became the first state to officially recognize Mother's Day, and in 1914 Woodrow Wilson signed it into national observance, declaring the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day.
Here in St. Andrews, Mother’s Day marks the first Sunday brunch of the year at the Algonquin Hotel. It is a sign that summer is just around the corner. Men and women get dressed in suits and ties and lovely dresses of blues and yellows and greens. It is a day where doing the right thing trumps doing the easy thing. Today’s thoughts need to focus on the good fortune we have in having a mother and not on petty differences we may have. It is also a very private time when families can gather together and express their love and gratitude to their mothers and grandmothers. These expressions of thanks should continue throughout the year. So on this special day, write a heartfelt card, step up and do a chore usually done by your mother, your wife, your grandmother or just sit and have a quiet chat. As a friend of mine recently stated, “Get engaged.” Take some action. Show your caring and love in a demonstrable way. Here we are at the 100th celebration. What better time than now to tell them you love them, and remember to do it everyday. This is an important tradition: a golden opportunity to lead by example and show your children the importance of the occasion. The commercialization should be downplayed and the real message behind the celebration needs to be emphasized.