Shopping in my Closet

Nadalee
I can't afford to do much shopping lately. Sigh...where is that shopping therapy when you need it most, right? I just don't have much spare cash these days.

So, do you know what I'm going to do? I am going to go shopping in my closet!

I am going to take what's old, and make it new again - or at least more wearable. I am going to get JIGGY in my closet! And the best part is, it won't cost me a cent. All I need, is my imagination.

Shopping in your closet; what a concept. You, too, probably have more stuff in there than you know. In fact, there might be a skirt or a top or a dress shoved waaay in the back, that you totally forgot about.

It's almost as good as buying something brand new, when a sweater jacket makes you shout, " I TOTALLY FORGOT I HAD THIS!"

(Besides, sometimes you even find money folded up in the pocket of that sweater jacket you also totally forgot about)!

Here are some tips on how to go shopping in your closet:

MAKE NEW AND EXCITING COMBOS: Create new combinations of clothes that you hadn't thought of before. For example:... hmmmm...that light green top looks really interesting under this sleaveless red dress. I never thought to wear it that way before! Then group these new exciting combos together.

EMPLOY BELTS, SCARVES, AND OTHER ACCESSORIES: Use belts and scarves in new and inventive ways...for instance, add a belt to that dress that always looks sort of frumpy. Or wear a scarf as a belt! Combine a funky colorful necklace with a sort of blah scoop neck top, to give it new life. You get the idea.

GET OUT THE SCISSORS: Sometimes shortening a skirt or turning a dress into a cool top to wear with pants can make these items seem new and exciting again. WARNING: DON'T CUT TOO SHORT! Remember, just like bangs, you can always cut more if you need to. Also, take your time. Rushing causes a choppy bad cut- (again, just like bangs)! When you are done cutting, simply sew up a new hem. No sewing machine? No problem! Either borrow your mom's, or check out Ebay, Craig's List, or garage sales . (If you really want to be sneaky, you can always purchase "hem tape" that just gets ironed on).

TOSS IT! You know those clothes that never make you feel good when you wear them, or will never fit you again (be honest)! Or what about those items that are just waaay too out of style and aren't about to make a come-back? TOSS EM'! Have a garbage bag or box ready, and just do it. You may decide to donate the clothes, or save them for a sale. That's fine. The important thing is, GET THEM OUT OF YOUR CLOSET! These depressing garments are only taking up space that could be filled up with much happier choices. ( Besides, lightening your load will make room for some brand new items, once you can afford them)!

So how did my shopping excursion in my closet go? Not too bad...I turned one dress into a top (it never "hung right" as a dress), shortened a too-frumpy skirt, and discovered a few new combinations. I also got rid of a whole bag of space taker-uppers, and organized what I have left. This lets me know what I have more than enough of, and what I need to buy when I get the chance. Basically, I feel more in control of my closet, which is a nice feeling.

No, I didn't find a forgotten twenty dollar bill folded up in a pocket. But now that I have made room in my closet and know exactly what I need, I am looking forward to doing some REAL shopping once some money comes my way!