My daughter Melissa is obsessed with cats!

Nadalee
CATS, CATS, and more CATS!

My daughter Melissa loves cats.

No, wait. That's not quite right.

MY DAUGHTER MELISSA IS ABSOLUTELY 100 PERCENT CRAZY ABOUT CATS!

There. That's more like it.

When Melissa was younger, my husband (a fan of classic cartoons) introduced her to the old cartoon character, Felix the Cat.

For a whole week, Melissa walked around insisting that everyone call her
Felix.

This was a little embarrassing when we ran into someone we hadn't seen for awhile. The woman, trying to be friendly, exclaimed, "Hi, Melissa! How are you?"

My daughter replied in a haughty voice, "My name is NOT Melissa. It's Felix."

Awkward!

I remember one time when Melissa was in preschool, the theme for Show and Tell was "Transportation."

I offered suggestions for toys my daughter could bring in that would fit in with this theme.

"What about this cute little car?" I asked.

"No!" Melissa said, wrinkling her nose. "That's boring."

To my daughter, anything other than a cat is boring.

"Okay...well...what about this locomotive?" I suggested.

"NO!" Melissa said.

"A horse?" I asked, holding up a plastic horse.

"NOOO!" Melissa screamed, grabbing a small tan rubber cat. "I WANT TO BRING PEANUT-BUTTER THE CAT!"

I'm not sure how PeanutButter the Cat fit into the theme of transportation, but I know how to pick my battles.

Translation: Peanut-Butter the Cat ended up going to school with Melissa.

Melissa also loves pretending to be a cat. She will create all sorts of different scenarios, such as: Cats Lost in the Woods, Cats Being Chased By The Mean Animal Catcher,and Cats Lost at Sea (this scenario occurrs when there's water, such as at the community pool).

I don't mind playing along. I'm all for encouraging creativity,and hey... I like cats, too. It just gets a little embarrassing when I'm expected to purr and meow in public.

Buying my daughter a present is so easy. As long as it's in the shape of a cat, she's thrilled.

Books about cats are great, too.

Every stuffed or beanie cat Melissa comes in contact with automatically makes it onto her "Must Have" list- wild cats, included. She currently has her eye on a stuffed bobcat at the Bass Pro shop.

I was hoping my daughter would like dolls. After all, I always liked them so much when I was little.

Therefore, over the years, I have loaded my daughter up with Barbies and Kelly dolls and Strawberry Shortcake and Polly Pocket- along with their assorted clothes and accessories and houses and tents and restaurants and campers and private jets, etc...

Melissa likes them well enough. But what usually happens, is the plastic cats end up taking over the campers and the restaurants, and the dolls are just secondary characters - stuck in the background as the cats are granted center stage.

This exchange really happened:

"Don't you think Kelly would like a banana split?" I asked, after Melissa set up her pink TREAT-TIME restaurant.

"No. That's just for the cats!" she replied in a huffy tone.

"Well, what's Kelly suppose to order?" I asked.

"She can order some... mustard," Melissa said, in all seriousness.

I have a feeling Melissa's cat obsession is here for the long haul. Maybe she'll even grow up to be a cat veterinarian or a cat psychologist - or an author who writes a successful series about cats.

Of course, Melissa's favorite cats are our two cats Coco-Puff and Princess. She's excellent with them; very affectionate, along with being a super toy tosser and wiggler of string.

So I have to admit...this cat obsession isn't the worst thing. However, I know that one day in the future it will be replaced by a whole new obsession...BOYS!

So I guess I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go. I've been invited to a very important wedding. Stripey and Coconut the Cat are getting married, and I don't want to be late!
Comment by shamaker

My oldest daughter walked around for a few weeks meowing like a cat. We have two cats and my two daughters talk to them as if they can hear and respond. Funny yet cute.
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:29:04 PM