An fun and easy way to make your deserts seem EXTRA SPECIAL!

Nadalee
THE ONE MAGIC INGREDIENT THAT MADE MY DESERT AN INSTANT HIT

Last St. Patrick's Day,my daughter Melissa complained, "We have no special desert for St. Patrick's Day!"

Never mind the fact we aren't even Irish.

"Well...of course we do!" I told her. "Just wait out in the other room. You'll see!"

I rummaged around in the cabinets and came up with some pistachio Jell-O instant pudding and green sugar left over from Christmas cookies. Then I rustled up some trusty Cool-Whip from the refrigerator.

Quick as a wink, I whipped up the pudding,shouting, "DON'T COME IN! IT'S NOT READY YET!"

After the pudding was ready,I scooped some into a bowl...then added a dollop of Cool Whip, and a few shakes of green sugar. I even managed to find a fake gold coin that I nestled on top.

"IS IT READY YET?" my daughter shouted.

"YES!" I shouted back.

I invited Melissa into the kitchen for some.....TAA-DAA..... LEPRACHON PUDDING!

It was a huge hit.

So what was the one magic ingredient that made this desert such a hit?

Was it the pudding?

No.

The Cool-Whip?

No.

The green sugar?

No.

So, what was it? The fake gold coin nestled on top?

Well, that would just be weird!

No, it was not the gold coin.

Give up?

IT WAS THE NAME!

LEPRECHON PUDDING. How can a desert miss with a great name like that? You see - the great name elevates the ordinary (instant pudding) to the level of extraordinary (WOW)!

I got the idea from an old Drew Carey episode. Drew's friend - upon serving Pringles on a tray for a party, told Drew, "These aren't Pringles. These are....ANGEL WINGS!"

I loved that!

After all, clever advertisers use this trick all the time....taking a mediocre product and giving it a fantastic name. Works like a charm. And you can do the same thing - right in your very own kitchen!

Amaze your kids with RAINBOW SWIRLIE SURPRISE!

Delight your husband with LOVE POTION NUMBER 9 PUDDING!

Impress your sister and her brood with PEACHY KEEN DREAM!

Never mind that your ingredients consist of lowly instant pudding, canned fruit, Cool Whip, marshmallows, and/or sprinkles. That's not important! With the right name, you can create a fancy gourmet desert fit for a king.

I will get you started with some ideas of my own.

Fold some coconut, Cool-Whip, and chopped bananas into your vanilla pudding....add a dollop of Cool-Whip on top with a few banana pieces as garnish, and voila! You have created ............BANANA COCONUT CLOUDS!

Add nuts, marshmallows, and chocolate bits to chocolate pudding to create your own version of...A WALK DOWN ROCKY ROAD!

Toss some M&Ms and different color sugars into vanilla pudding, and you have created....RAINBOW SWIRLIE SURPRISE!

Holidays are the perfect time to let your desert naming creativity shine.

PATRIOTIC PUDDING for the Fourth of July might sport raspberries and blueberries and a little flag on top of vanilla pudding.

HIPPITY-HOP PUDDING for Easter would be made with lemon pudding and Cool-Whip folded together....it would contain Cool Whip on top, some Jelly beans, and of course, a marshmallow Peep bunny for garnish.

Now you try naming one, yourself.

How about butterscotch pudding, Cool-Whip, and nuts for garnish?

Did you come up with a good name like BUTTER NUTTY BOOGIE?

Now you're getting the hang of it!

Have your kids join in with the naming process. They will feel positively empowered, naming their very own deserts.

Bon apetite!
Comment by ninanina

Ha, this is so funny! I have one: Cool-whip, coconut flakes, and mini marshmallows make COCONUT CLOUDS. The only problem is it's not very healthy.
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 5:43:21 PM