When and how to give an allowance?

bugcandy
I started having discussions with my six-year-old about giving her an allowance. Let me first mention that I did NOT bring this up. She did. Apparently, some of her friends in her Kindergarten class get an allowance and now she wants one too.

Okay...

So I asked, "Do you know what an 'allowance' is?"

Reply: "It's when you get money when you do a chore."

Okay...she's onto something.

Well, before jumping into this blind, I thought I'd do my homework. Were there recommendations out there about how to tackle this topic with your child? Is giving cold hard cash in return for small chores the answer? Is saying "no" the answer?

Well - I found a resource on this EXACT topic.

It's a book called "The No-Cash Allowance" from WalnutRow.com. I highly recommend it. So much so that as the CEO for StageofLife.com, I contacted this company and told them we were making them a Must Visit Website in our Raising a Family and Grandparenting stages.

Everyone has their own tips and experiences on the topic of how and when to give an allowance. Please share your thoughts by commenting on this thread.

For those, like me, just entering this discussion, I hope the recommendation helps.
Comment by pgarbero

I'm a junior in high school and I never got an allowance.
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 6:22:44 PM
Comment by jkim4

Hello Eric,

I'm a freshman in high school, so I have some recollections of getting allowance money as a kid.

Although giving a little bit of allowance money might teach a child how to save and spend wisely, my parents never gave me allowance.

My parents were (and still are) my legal guardians. If I wanted something, I could tell them that I wanted it, and if it was something legitimate, they bought it to me. Strictly speaking, they have the responsibility to supply my needs. If I needed something for school, I told my mom I needed it and my mom bought it to me.

I think it was wise of my parents to do that. If I had allowance money on me, I would not have spent it as wisely. I probably would have squandered the money on things that I really didn't need.

Josh
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:35:02 AM