Be a Blessing

manyhatsmommy
The other day I was getting frustrated. I had mapped out the day to get everyone what they needed. As often happens in life, the day didn't follow the plan.

That meant that I got to the library at least an hour after I had hoped. I walked in, waved to the children's librarian, and, well, stopped. Why? Because the children's librarian said, "Oh! There she is," pointing to me.

Last month I started a special needs story time at our local library. The staff have embraced us, and we are all working to make this a time when all children with special needs can enjoy stories at the library. I'm getting to be known as an autism mom there.

When I heard the librarian's comment, I figured she was talking to a mom of an autistic child, or someone who wondered. I was right.

The librarian introduced us and left to take her lunch break. The lady's little boy was running around the library, so we found a place he'd like to sit. We began to chat. This lady was where I had been two years ago.

I was able to give her some ideas. I listened. I invited her to story time and our new support group. I tried to be friendly and encouraging. I hope it helped.

We parted ways, and I went to look for my needed materials. It felt pretty good, helping another mom concerned about her child. Then I realized that if I had been at the library when I intended, I would not have crossed paths with her. God had a different plan for my day.

So, here is my encouragement to you, other special needs families. Your days are long and many are hard. You have lots of things going on. Take a moment once in a while to reach out to someone and help them. It will energize you and give you strength to keep going. Plus, it will bless them at the same time!