Kinds of Love and Family Roles

Daniellethorpe
According to such scientists as Williams, Sawyer and Wahlstrom, there is a number of different types of love. I would like to focus only on five so far. Romantic love is, perhaps, the most known one. Sometimes it is called passionate love. This type of feeling lacks commitment. However, it can be developed over time if both partners will invest enough efforts and patience to build stable relationship. Companionate love seems the perfect one to me. These relations are time-tested and strong; they often start from friendship or common interests:

- sports,
- music,
- cinematography,
- life goals, etc.

This kind of love is based on mutual trust and support. That is when two individuals really turn into one whole. Playful love is usually assigned to men as far as they are more likely to have several partners at a time. In this case, sex is evaluated as joy and fun rather than the potential for giving a new life or an act of intimacy and high love. The majority of the population considers it immoral.

Obsessive love is the most dangerous one as far as it can have fatal outcomes. It happens so because it is based on powerful sexual attraction and emotional intensity. These sorts of feelings are very jealous, selfish, and aggressive. One becomes a victim of his or her admirer instead of being beloved person.
At last, the least romantic one is practical. Partners evaluate pros and cons of each soberly to decide whether they fit each other in terms of further household, for instance. It allows avoiding conflicts of interests.

Altruistic love, I believe, is the most suitable to define the relations between father and daughter. It is self-sacrificing, just like father’s nature when protecting his daughter from potential threats. He would rather die to save her life. Parents often start living for their children forgetting about personal needs. There is a so-called Electra Complex, which refers to the girls who confuse their love for a father with the love to a man.

From one side, dad is the first love to his daughter. As a rule, daughters intentionally look for the guys with the similar features to become their husbands further in their life. It makes no wonder as the father is an example, often praised by the mother. The feeling of safety is another sign of daughter-father love. Daughters believe this model of man behavior is the best. But when this love turns unhealthy (the sexual interests appears), it is important to receive help from the specialists to prevent dramatic outcomes.

I guess that companionate love (excluding its intimate side) is appropriate to describe the relations between father and son due to the fact their relations are often based on the shared activities like playing football and same interests. Father and son are usually best friends. Sons often worry about their dads success and are impressed by their achievements. Fathers, in their turn, willingly share experience with their sons as with heirs.

As the male parent, the primary role of the father is a worker, disciplinarian, and feeder. This truth is relevant through ages. However, more and more matriarchate families appear today. This was not spread a century ago, but the modernized democratic world has changed this belief about family roles and structure. As Forbes informs, 47% of British women are the members of business elite despite being mothers.

A lot of married men with children remain unemployed now, so the gap between female and male disappears. Besides, same-sex relations are legalized in most of the developed countries. Today, a father is no longer the only keeper of wealth. American Psychological Association (APA) describes modern father’s role not only as a breadwinner, but also mentions he can be unemployed, non-resident, divorced, a step-father, gay, but still his primary role is defined as a caregiver.

About the Author: Danielle Thorpe is a known Sociology and Psychology professor and academic writer who works for the Department of African and African American Studies in Harvard. Her career in the field of creative and scientific writing at resume-for-you.com started more than five years ago. Today, she is a recognized and awarded sociologist who is sharing recommendations online with those who is looking for aid.