STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Angel on the Bus

manyhatsmommy
Autism is one of those things that require a lot of mental and emotional strength from the caregivers. You need a tough skin. You learn not to ask your child, “Do you love so-and-so?” because they may very well say “no” since they are not feeling loving at the moment. You learn to put on a game face and pretend there are not other people in public with you when your child is having a meltdown. You also learn not to take comments personally. Or you try to.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. I do not really know why it struck my heart yesterday, but it did. When I went to get my son from the bus yesterday, I could tell he was having a rough time because he was not at the door waiting for the bus driver to open it. That usually means he’s not cooperating with the aide or harassing another child.
I probably sighed inside my heart and made my way to the bus. “Is he having a rough day?” I asked.

“Yes. He’s been unbuckling himself lately and not staying in his seat. He’s also bothering the other children.”

My son walked down the aisle toward me, and I caught his hand. “It is very dangerous for you to get out of your seat. Everyone could get hurt really bad, and your bus driver could get in a lot of trouble. You need to stay in your seat.” As I was talking to him, he kept trying to get out of my grasp.

“You have your hands full, Mom,” said the driver. And that was it, the comment that hurt my heart.

I know it seems silly. Some days I would give anything to hear someone say that to me, to acknowledge that the handsome boy who can memorize anything is a whole bunch of work and drains me. Yesterday, it felt like a stigma placed on him, I guess. I cannot quite explain it. Perhaps I felt badly that someone else may not have been so happy to be around my son at the moment.

I reprimanded him one more time so she would know I was taking it seriously, and led him off the bus. He started talking about something or other, hyped up as usual after the long bus ride home. I was discouraged. What do you do when your child will not stay in his seat on a bus and he is already in a car seat? Do I ask to sign a paper allowing a harness and add to his stress level? I now had more things to think about.

Later that evening, after good times and bad, my phone rang. The caller ID said it was last year’s bus driver. I was surprised. “Hello?” I answered.

“Hi. I just saw your husband at work, and he said I should give you a call to say hi, so I’m calling on my way to the next store.” Wow.

Let me go back in time and explain.

This was my son’s first bus driver. She had amazing rapport with the kids. My son adored her and her regular aide. They were fun and extended my child’s education on the bus ride, teaching gargantuan words and how to interact with others. Since each child is individually picked up and dropped off, that makes the ride longer. This driver wisely stowed a box of mishmash toys on the bus to occupy the students on their ride home.

Additionally, these ladies were a social outlet for me. Many days I was home without a car. Mornings could be rough, and by the time they came to pick up my son, I was ready for another adult to say hi to me and give me a smile, which they always did.

Press the fast forward button and stop at last night’s call. I thought his former driver had moved, so I was delighted to hear her voice and to share the phone with my son so she could talk to him. He told her that he missed her, and she returned the sentiment. How kind! We chatted for a few minutes, catching up on the past months. I knew I could not keep her on the phone forever, so I acknowledged that she was probably at her store and I should let her go. She said, “I’ll try to call him on his bus driver’s radio tomorrow.” Her kindness blessed my soul.

Today, I armed my son with a used-and-abused Doodle Pro for his bus ride. He now loves drawing and will spend a long time on that toy. I explained to him that he can use it only on the bus and only if he remains in his seat. I am hoping it will give his current driver a better ride.

As we got to the end of the sidewalk, my son’s bus pulled to a stop. A second bus came driving down the parking lot. It was last year’s driver. She stopped the bus, opened her window, and waved to my son. She told him to be good on the bus. He couldn’t hear her since she was across the parking lot, but he could see her. He knows that she cares for him and stopped by to say hi. His steel-trap mind will remember.

His mom will remember, too. There is a kids’ song that often drives parents close to the edge of insanity. “The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round.” I have a new version. “The angel on the bus cares for my son, for my son, for my son. The angel on the bus cares for my son, all through the town.”
Rate this:

Parents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for parents.  It allows people who are raising a family to share stories about the adventure of parenthood in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about raising a family, or check out the writing contest for parents, quotes about parenthood, parenting etiquette, funny videos about kids, discounts for families, and other resources for raising a family on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your family, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy