The Secret of Happiness: Escaping Myself

jenpen
I’m happiest when I’m able to forget about myself and become completely immersed in an enjoyable or productive activity. I like to think of it as escaping myself. During this time I’m focused only on the present situation around me and am not worrying about anything to do with myself.

One way I know when I’ve escaped myself is when I zone out or lose track of time. I’m so wrapped up in the present experience that time goes by without me noticing. Another indication of escaping myself and finding happiness is the strong desire for the present situation to not end.

My favorite escape is taking a beach vacation. But, that’s an obvious example since vacations are a break from work, household responsibilities, and the everyday setting/routine. Vacations aren’t the only times I’m happy.

I find happiness and escape myself through various “me time” activities that I enjoy, such as reading, writing, crossword puzzles, walking in & admiring nature, taking photos, creating something, swimming, etc.

I can escape myself by being productive such as completing tasks at work and doing chores at home. Although not necessarily fun, these give me a sense of satisfaction and I’m happy about my accomplishments. When I’m focused on getting tasks done I’m not thinking about my problems.

Escaping myself often involves the company of other people. I find joy being with my family doing fun activities like watching movies, playing games, visiting others, eating meals, sitting by the bonfire, etc. I can escape myself by caring for my kids, helping them, and watching them perform in various activities (sports, plays, concerts, etc.). By taking the focus off of myself and being engaged with others I find happiness.

I’m not saying I can always easily escape myself in all of these situations. The key is to be able to let go of myself and purely commit to my present situation. My problems will always be part of my life, but I can set them aside for a bit and be fully captivated by something else.

The best example I can give of me escaping myself in daily life is reading a novel. I easily get wrapped up in a story, become transported into the world of the book, and lose myself. An article in The New Yorker titled “Can Reading Make You Happier?” by Ceridwen Dovey states, “Reading has been shown to put our brains into a pleasurable trance-like state, similar to meditation, and it brings the same health benefits of deep relaxation and inner calm. Regular readers sleep better, have lower stress levels, higher self-esteem, and lower rates of depression than non-readers.”

I experience different levels of happiness based on the situation. Reading a good novel while peacefully laying on a raft in my pool, soaking up the hot sun rays, and sipping on a cold drink is at the top of the list!
Comment by lindarose11

great article, I was very impressed about it, wish you would have stayed next share
http://bit.ly/30KyKsT
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 3:33:21 AM