My Personal "No Limits" Manifesto for 2016

liz pearl

Have you noticed that (almost) every blog post includes a list? Undeniably, a popular creative and functional format for delivering succinct messages. Apparently, we can’t seem to focus our attention on more than a few simplified snippets presented in point form. The New Year is a perfect opportunity to generate some new lists, so here goes ‒ my personal manifesto for 2016.

• There is no limit to the amount of time and energy I can dedicate to social networking nonsense such as surfing Facebook and Instagram. This year I will aspire to add a few new social media apps to my rudimentary repertoire without increasing the total amount of time spent engaged i.e. not social network binging. My goal is not to maximize my social networking audience rather to indulge in surfing that is relevant and meaningful to me. Note: Very occasionally I use Pinterest and LinkedIn; I have limited Snapchat skills and I’m not a fan of Twitter; Tumblr and Vine are beyond my social media scope. Maybe it’s time I try Meetup or Secret?

• There is no limit to the addition of news apps and information websites in development. This year I will try to access a few new apps that bring humour, relevancy and meaning to my waning understanding of a rapidly changing contemporary culture. Presently, much of how I make sense of the current trends is via, BuzzFeed, Upworthy and Urban dictionary. Note: I definitely need an assistant to help me with this daunting task. I wonder: will Reddit or Mashable really make my life any better?!

• There is no limit to the amount of time and energy I can spend worrying. About my kids. About my parents. About health concerns. #Hypochondriac. The worry list is endless. Fortunately, I do not worry about the weather which is typically a major source of angst among Canadians. To be clear, I do care about the weather conditions; I just don’t worry about it. This year I will focus on limiting my range of worries and attempt to consolidate, thereby creating more efficient worry time and energy; I will designate compact worry sessions. Note: I’m worried this strategy might not work.

• There is no limit to the amount of time and energy I dedicate to ruminating about my past and about my future. This year I will focus more on the present, if and when I remember to do so. Living “in the moment” may be a stretch, but I will attempt to live each day more consciously and readjust my perspective accordingly, on an as-needed basis. Essentially, more mindfulness and less ruminating. Note: I’m a sucker for sentimental nostalgia, so that’s allowed.

• There is no limit to the potential for opportunities for indulging in my favourite snacks and treats. There is always another birthday, holiday, celebration or evening out. This year I will continue to enjoy the delectable foods I love (with some degree of moderation) because life is short and because I am a foodie. And yes, I will continue to eat a healthy balanced diet in between treats. Note: Please do not hold me to this resolution.

• There is no limit to the joy we experience in doing what we love and the dread we experience in doing what we deplore. This year I will celebrate small successes with my family, friends and clients. I will delight in the little things that keep me fortified and empowered. Note: Please remind to do so when I appear to have forgotten or strayed.

• There is no limit to that amount of self-deprecation I am capable of. This year I will attempt to calm the incessant inner critical voice. I will practice accepting my fears, faults and failures. Note: Realistically, I will possibly hush the inner voice from a piercing roar to a benign banter.

• There is no limit to the value of gratitude in our lives. Everything about gratitude is a win/win. This year I will endeavor to experience more gratitude, daily. I don’t have much need for religious ritual prayer but I most certainly appreciate the purpose of counting our blessings. Note: All the research indicates that gratitude is good for the brain and the soul.

• There is no limit to the value of empathy and compassion in our lives. Sometimes it seems that I am over-endowed with compassion, and that’s okay. I always go with the underdog. My heart is continually pulled with the ache of marginalized or hurting people. This year I will continue to make small gestures to make the world a better place. Note: These initiatives may be tiny, and that’s okay.

• There is no limit to the wisdom and inspiration in the world. This year I will continue to look for it, and hopefully find it, and ultimately share it. Wisdom and inspiration can be found in many sources and manifest in infinite forms. Note: These diverse sources and unlimited forms often require a slight change in perspective or a pursuit of some innovative kind. Note: Let’s push the limit and join together on this serendipitous journey of discovery toward and abundance of wisdom and inspiration.