Beyond Sports: The Best Fitness Activities for Non-Competitive Kids

EmmaSturgis
While many children relish the spirit of competition, this isn't true for all. Highly competitive kids typically love team sports where they can show off their skills, win a trophy, and gain the respect of their peers and coaches. However, some children shy away from competition and avoid sports altogether. It could be that they simply aren't athletic and worry about being criticized for that. It could also be that they are introverted and don't like the interaction that team sports bring. Perhaps they do not enjoy the aspects of team sports or the sports themselves. Because of the recent spotlight on the issue of childhood obesity, parents want to encourage fitness activities for their children so that they can grow to be healthy adults. There are many fitness activities that are perfect for children who are not competitive.

Cycling
There are several different types of cycling activities that non-competitive children can enjoy. This could be as simple as riding a bike on the street or as technical as mountain biking. When riding a road bike, the child will focus on distance, breaking personal records, and increasing their level of fitness. Mountain biking, however, is a much more technical sport that requires focus on the terrain rather than speed. Mountain biking is also sometimes referred to as an "extreme sport." Aside from the fitness benefits, it allows children to become competitive if they choose. Cycling races are all available to children if they seek competition at some point.

Running
Running is considered a life-long sport, which makes it a good choice for children who are non-competitive. It is something they can do any time, in any location, alone or with someone else. When children run, they are competing only with themselves. Cardiovascular health is important for people of all ages, so starting children out with an activity that will keep their hearts strong and healthy is important. As children grow, they may decide they want to become more competitive. Trail races, 5ks, and cross country teams make it possible for children to run competitively if they wish. The level of competition is up to them. They may be running to beat a time or running to do well in their age group. Regardless, it is a personal sport in which they decide their level of competition.

Swimming
Swimming is a wonderful, zero-impact activity for children who love the water but are not interested in competing. It is something the child can learn in infancy through swimming lessons and continue throughout adulthood. Swimming doesn't require expensive special equipment, and it can be done in most bodies of water. If the child has a pool at his or her home, it is an activity that can be done nearly any time. In addition to the health aspects of swimming, there are safety benefits as well. A specialist who teaches swimming lessons in Houston, TX says it's important for all children to learn how to swim, as it is a skill which could one day prove life-saving. A strong, confident swimmer can handle most situations in water.

Rock Climbing
Rock climbing is an activity that will promote self-confidence, strength, and overcoming fear in children. The goal is to become stronger and more capable of climbing increasingly difficult rock faces. This can be done at any climbing gym or on any mountain that is set up for rock climbing. This activity is sure to engage the young, natural climber who prefers a non-competitive way to stay in shape.

It's unnecessary for children to compete in order for them to participate in a fitness program. So many options exist for those who are non-competitive but want to develop the qualities of an athlete. Self-confidence and physical fitness will result when kids are actively pursuing something they enjoy!