STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Testimony

ericbrady
As a young boy, I was sent to church via a church bus. There were three people that planted seeds of hope in my life at this time. There was Mrs. Smith, she rode the church bus and worked in the school cafeteria. She would mentor me and visit every Saturday to make sure that my siblings and I were going to church on Sunday. Then there was Mr. Haupt, my Sunday school teacher, he would teach me the word of God and the Christian way of living. Then, there was Mr. Joiner, he would teach the children's church. He brought forth the message and made it come to life. These three planted seeds in my life and unfortunately did not reap the harvest at that time.
When I started high school, I would run from God. I started using drugs, alcohol and became sexually active. I made my own path. I thought that I was happy but deep down there was something missing in my life. In 1985, I would graduate and join the army. My first duty station would Germany. I would really stray from God here. I began drinking every day and would become an alcoholic. I would use drugs such as hash, acid and cocaine. I spent most of my free time in bars and in the arms of strange women when I should have been in church and in the arms of God. God would look down on me, even though I did not know it at the time, and take me back home. I would be stationed in Kansas next where I lived the same lifestyle and would eventually have a son and get married. This marriage was not ordained by God and it would fail after three years, when I would come home from war.
In 1990, I would go to Iraq and serve in desert storm. While waiting at the airport to fly over, I would receive a care package that would eventually allow me to cross paths once again. In that package, there was a desert camouflage bible, donated by the Gideon, and I would place it in my shirt pocket. While in the desert, God would spare my life several times, protecting me from mortar rounds that would rain down all around me, protecting me from a tank round that would cook off in a fire and skip across the ground behind me, where I was standing just seconds earlier, protecting me from bomblets exploding just yards away as I walked to the breakfast line. He was in my life even though I had turned my back on him. I would later have a terrifying dream about my father and was awakened in the middle of the night by it. This is when I would think about the Gideon bible in my shirt. I did not know where to start, but, I did remember one verse that had stuck with me from my time with the three angels that God had placed in my life years earlier. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not parish but have everlasting life”. This was the beginning of my homecoming. Although I did not dedicate my life to God at that time, He was working on me and I knew something was going on. Back in the states, God would send his angels to witness to me, but, I would fight it and do my best to make them mad. It never worked though.
God would eventually take me out of the Army and send me home. There, I tried to keep up my army lifestyle, but God had other plans. He placed the woman that he had picked out for me in my life. We would get into church, get married and have a child. In 1995, I would give in to God's plans and would accept Jesus as my lord and savior. I would warm the pews for years. In 2004, I would get tired of pew warming and asked God to use me. Be careful when you do this because there may be a pruning process before he can use you. In 2005, my pruning would take place; I would get laid off from the factory that I worked at. My first instinct as a husband and father of two was to get a job, any job. God had other plans though, he told me to have faith in him and wait. This was the toughest thing that I had ever done, but God was teaching me and preparing me for his work. My wife and I would talk and pray and pray and pray. Did I mention pray? We said ok Lord, no matter what happens, we are going to wait on you; even if we lose everything. Well, we did lose almost everything, everything except God and that would be all that we would need. We lost our house and car and had to file bankruptcy. I would only make $6,000 that year, but, God made sure we had a place to live, food in our stomachs, and clothes on our backs. We never lacked. During this time, He would open the doors for me to go back to school, at the age of 38. He would give me a job that paid me more than I had ever made. Remember, we had lost everything, but we still had God and God is sufficient. Now, I am 46, God has given us a home, paid in full and three vehicles, paid in full, debt free. Praise God!!! He is more than enough. That is why I am Jesus Strong today. I will not turn my back on him ever again; I will serve him until he takes me home. By the way, he did use my wife and me as youth leaders for 5 years and it was a blessing. We are still active in church today. What has God done for you? Encourage others and share your testimony. God is good. Live Jesus Strong.
Rate this:

Parents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for parents.  It allows people who are raising a family to share stories about the adventure of parenthood in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about raising a family, or check out the writing contest for parents, quotes about parenthood, parenting etiquette, funny videos about kids, discounts for families, and other resources for raising a family on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your family, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy