Teacher Appreciation: Teaching an (ahem) older mom, new tricks

veronicaphilips
They say that death and taxes are the only guarantees in life, yet I contend that somewhere in the middle, there sits the guarantee of change, and while my personality doesn’t appreciate it’s concept, it does stand to reason that even I saw the need for it’s implementation. Change may not always be good, but change is always change, and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that change can be tolerable, if one is willing to go with the flow…I guess.
At the age of 43, I had to go back to school. I was a business owner now, and if I wanted to improve the services I offered to my clients, I had to get a degree in Nursing. If I was going to get a degree in Nursing, I was going to have to tackle my fear of The Sciences. Graduating High School in, none of your business, I knew that even the cobwebs in my mind couldn’t cover up the fact that Science was never my gift. The Nursing Curriculum mandated that I successfully complete Anatomy and Physiology (hereafter known as A&P). Scared, not excited, I anxiously entered the first day of class not knowing if I was ever going to understand, let alone pass the advanced course.
From the minute she opened her mouth, I knew I was going to love her. In television and movies, Science Teachers are supposed to be dry, humorless, Borgs whom only exists to collect a paycheck. I guess Hollywood can’t make a successful teen movie with a Science Professor with a personality. From day one she taught, in a manner I could understand. Bad jokes, good jokes, with a side of Science , she had it all tied up in a nice neat little homeostatic package. Failing a test, I found myself emailing her to apologize. The failure was not in her ability to teach, but in my inability to follow through with the class expectation. I thought if she could teach countless hours each day, and manage to do it in a manner relatable to me, the least I could do was study, and give it my all. I did pass A&P 1 with a “C”, and just ten minutes ago, I checked my final grade for A&P 2….an 89% and I owed it all to her and her gift of gab, humor and her love of life.
I’m on to Micro Biology next Monday. What’s tragic, and funny, is that I begged her to teach the class, alas; her heart belongs to the principals of Anatomy and Physiology. It’s probably for the best, but she instilled, in me, an interest and desire to learn more about the Human Body, and all that dwells within it. I could have never done it without her, believe that. Older dogs can learn tricks; you just have to make them laugh first. Thank you Professor. I never could have done it without you.

Congratulations on A&P! Best wishes with Microbiology and the rest of the nursing program.
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:52:25 PM