Mother Nature's Best Gift

readarose
In spite of over thirty years as an educator, the proclamation of a snow day still results in whoops of joy and disbelief. As much as I love teaching, there is simply nothing like “found time” and the chance to either chill out or ramp up and finally take care of those niggling chores that never seem to disappear from my “to do” list.
Step inside any faculty room right before a predicted weather event. There’s a palpable air of fun and excitement. Business-like teachers wear a smile of hope and the underlying feeling of urgency gives way to lightheartedness as this group anticipates a free day…a fun day…a day of release from the constraints of the classroom. The chatter is louder than usual, as teachers banter around their predications, which run the gamut from a two-hour delay, to multiple days off. Such fun! Trust me, they are worse than a bunch of kids!
When a snow day becomes a reality, teachers make the most of it. Young moms and dads suddenly have extra time with their own children to enjoy and treasure. Those further along life’s journey savor a second cup of coffee as they leisurely peruse the newspaper and decide how to spend the blank day ahead. With any luck, the grandparents among us might even be able to see their grandkids. As much as nature likes to trick us, test us, and try our patience, she periodically presents an unexpected gift. For teachers, a snow day is one of Mother Nature’s favorite presents.

Interesting. In contrast, if something canceled one of the college classes I taught, it would have been a scramble to recover. Fortunately, I can't recall a single snow day, though we were in Upstate N.Y. and though some of those winter days should have been snow days.
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 7:46:50 PM