Coffee

LJFields
That morning I left my coffee on the counter as I rushed to drop off my daughter at school and to get to work. Thinking intently about the coffee I left at home, I drove past my exit. I wasn't upset or frustrated about it. I just decided that I might as well stop and get another. I didn’t really want to waste any more time but I felt I had to stop. Some force was pulling at me and this was not about a caffeine fix. I was supposed to be somewhere besides work that day.

As I got out of my car, I saw her pull in. She was a Hispanic woman, about 50, and driving a blue minivan. I said to myself, no, I am not going to get into other peoples business today. No more butting in with whatever I thought I knew or felt. I had my doubts as of late. I was intent on avoiding using my gift to help others.

I strolled over to the coffee station. Coffee and conversation with God was normal in my life. The two seems to blend perfectly like old girlfriends and cups of tea with honey.

I grabbed a decaf with a touch of hazelnut cream, my usual. I paid for it and watched out the window as the woman sought help from a gentleman standing in the parking lot.

Still fervent about ignoring the situation, I walked to my car and hit the key faub to open the door. Once inside, I sipped the hot coffee knowing it would sear my tongue. I put my hands on the wheel.

"You're not going to let this go God. There is no way I could know that I can help." The response I heard in my ears, which reverberated in my heart and told my body to move, was "Do it, Gina."

I opened the car door and stepped out. I walk around the minivan still reserved about my actions. Standing in front of the woman and the man, I remained quiet. They looked at me and I at them. They wondered if I was going to say something as did I.

They looked back down at the paper. The man wanted to find out how she got so turned around. I wanted to get her to where she needed to be.

"Do it, Gina." I heard it again. This time in my stomach - the place where I often think my intuition lies.

"Where is she going," I asked. "Here,” she said. I stepped in. The man handed me the paper. Internet directions are never clear to me. I sigh. She then handed me another piece of paper out of an envelope.

“Here,” she said. I looked at the address and knew why I was told to help. I knew why I left my coffee. I knew why I drove past my exit. And, because of recent disheartening events, I knew why I was given this task. It was my reassurance.

Her destination was one block from my destination. I told her to follow me. She told me if she didn't get to her destination today she would have to go back to Puerto Rico indefinitely. She took off of work to do this. I told her that I worked right down the street from where she needed to be.

The man had left us both after thanking me. He had a look of wonder on his face as he walked away. Once we were alone, she turned to me and asked why did I stop to help her?

I told her honestly that I had a feeling. And I usually try to listen to HIM when he speaks to me. She had the same look of the man who also tried to help. As I stared at the paper she stared at me and said, "You are special."

She thanked me before we left the coffee spot. She thanked me as I told her all the places that she could park. I pointed towards the building and wished her a good day.

I drove to the garage, parked my car and walked into work while drinking my coffee and smiling… grateful that I listened.

What a wonderful coffee break!
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:14:21 PM