The Best Advice: Grown-Ups Should Grow, Too

LJFields
I received the best advice in regards to parenthood the other day while attending a friend’s housewarming. It was suggested that I surround my daughter with all the things that I wanted her to have in her life as an adult. His point was that if I wanted her to learn a language I should play CDs overnight of that language mainly to give her a foundation to learn. Now, I have already begun to apply it to the game of chess, which I hope she learns at a young age. And I have applied it to many other cultural aspects of the world I wish to expose her too, such as classical music and art.

Let’s not stop there. This same advice can be applied to each and every one of us, the grown-ups. We are never too old to learn something new about ourselves. Let's say we always wanted to learn how to play the guitar or paint in watercolor. We should then do the same thing for ourselves that we do for our children: surround ourselves with the tools and the culture we need to learn these things. By giving attention to these interests, we may awaken a sleeping talent.

And that is exactly what I believe life is about: Talent. We must identify our talents, nurture our talents, and practice our talents for the greater good.

Our main goal as parents is to inspire and grow talent in our children. We make a silent pledge to nurture from birth their natural born gifts. But…we must never forget that as much as it is our mission and privilege to encourage our babies, the future generation, it is our duty to encourage our talents for our own natural progression as humans and contributors to this world.

So my advice to you, my reader… get that camera and LEARN to take pictures you've always wanted to take. TAKE that lesson to learn how to strum a guitar or play the violin. JOIN that dance class to become more graceful in the waltz, or dance into the night. READ up on the new things you wish to make a part of your life. And while you're at it, BRING YOUR CHILDREN ALONG FOR THE RIDE! I bet they will also learn a thing or two, too.