Scar: From the Back of My Head to the Front of My Mind

jenpen
I saw the car barreling towards our car and I remember screaming and hearing the loud metal crashing sound as it smashed into the passenger door where I sat. It seemed like slow motion but at the same time over within a second. My boyfriend, who was driving, noticed that my leg was bleeding. I stared confused because my leg didn’t have a cut on it. All of a sudden a searing pain started in the back right side of my head. I touched it and when I took my hands away they were both covered in blood. I realized that my head was gushing blood and dripping on to my leg. I panicked and started screaming,“My head’s bleeding!”

I was whisked away to the hospital in an ambulance while my boyfriend had to stay behind to file a police report. I was terrified but he was too because he had to call my parents. Luckily, it turned out to be only a small gash requiring three stitches, but because head wounds bleed profusely everyone initially thought it was worse. I had hit my head on the seatbelt holder above my right shoulder.

That accident happened twenty-three years ago when I was sixteen. I have a small scar that no one can see because it’s hidden under my hair, but I know it’s there. It’s more of an emotional scar for me. I can vividly remember all the details of that day like it happened yesterday. Fortunately, my injury wasn’t serious, but nevertheless, that accident was a traumatic experience for me.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about that day because my oldest child recently got his temporary driver’s permit. I’m excited for him but I’m also feeling anxious. The emotional scar from the physical scar on the back of my head is in the front of my mind during this milestone in my son’s life. I pray that he never has to make a phone call like my boyfriend did and I never receive a call like my parents did. Even though the accident wasn’t caused by my boyfriend (the other car driven by an adult ran a red light), young drivers are often involved in accidents. According to the CDC website:
"In 2011, about 2,650 teens in the United States aged 16–19 were killed and almost 292,000 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor-vehicle crashes."

Those statistics are scary but teenagers should be aware of the risks and responsibility associated with driving. As a parent, it’s difficult to be reminded of the dangers of teenage driving but the CDC website also states that “parents are the key to safe teen drivers.” I researched teaching a teenager to drive and have found many useful tips. I won’t be able to prevent my son from being in a car accident but hopefully I’ll be influential in minimizing his chances and therefore hopefully lessen his risk of scars both physical and emotional.