STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Break down in sisterhood

Tamary
I visited my sister Sasha 5 years ago when her first son Joshua was born. We have always had a tumultuous relationship and I wanted to show sisterly support. I traveled from South Africa to England and the ticket was expensive
(800 pounds). I traveled with my 2 year old daughter Milly, our suitcase half-filled with gifts for my sister and her new baby. Before travelling
I had asked previously if she would like me to come and she said that she would. I asked if it would be OK if I could have a lift from the airport as I was concerned about how to manage my 2 year old and luggage on a bus ride from the airport to her house approximately 3 hours away. My daughter was very active at this stage.My sister said that this was fine. Her husband Garth picked my up from the airport and I was very grateful. When I arrived my mother was there (she was also visiting) and there was a lot of tension between my sister and mother. I thought that I did a pretty good job of trying to stay out of the tension and attempting to keep the peace. Whenever we went grocery shopping I paid for half of the bill. I bought my sister and husband Indian takeout because I couldn't take them out to restaurant with their very new baby. I paid for all excursions and entrances places that we visited.
I kept track of my phone bill and paid for my phone calls. I cooked most of the evening meals and did much washing up. During my stay my sister was upset because I used the wrong board to cut some bread. She was also upset when a blanket I was using on the sofa was touching the floor. Near the end of my stay my sister asked me to pay 80 pounds petrol money for my lifts to the airport. I explained that this was difficult for me-I didn't have 80 pounds, having used all my pocket money already for daily expenses. At this stage we did not have extra money to spare-having used all extra to finance the air trip. I had just had enough money to buy some gifts of tea for family back home. She was upset that I did not have 80 pounds for her and I was upset that she had asked considering I had spent 800 pounds for my air ticket to visit her. Near the end of my trip she asked if I could take a train to bristol and her husband give me a lift from there. I felt very vulnerable with my two year with luggage on the train and was upset but agreed. One year later, the visit came up in a skype conversation. My sister became angry as she accused me of having ill intentions during my visit. This surprised and shocked me. She hung up the skype call and then wrote the following letter to me and copied it to my family.

Because it was sent one year after the event I couldn't remember some of the details that were addressed. "Dear Mommy, Tamary and Daddy
I have been deliberating for some time whether to send this email, because I'm not convinced it would be productive. Following my conversation with Tamary today, I realise that it is important to relay our experience of events when Tamary and Mommy came to visit newborn Joshua. We have not wanted to stir emotion, but it has become clear that there have been conversations without our input, and hopefully this will help provide some perspective.
Mommy - when you arrived, Joshua was but two weeks' old, and I was feeling in need. I think that you might have been in a difficult place at that time too, and unfortunately I was unable to be giving. I think I knew beforehand that this probably wasn't the best time for the visit, but romanticised the newborn phase a bit and wanted to embrace your gesture and share this time with you.
Tamary - I was really angry and upset by the time you came to leave. By the end I began to think that you were really trying to goad us (I'm not sure whether this was conscious or not). One day you laughed at the state of my car, because of the debris of toys and food that Milly had left in it – I thought you were going to offer to clean it out... nothing. It was the same around the house – leaving soiled nappies and clothes in the bathroom, just as an example. These may seem trivial, but added together with numerous other instances, it made the living space really awkward. No, it's not about being messy, we aren't the most tidy people ourselves – it's about feeling that our home is being respected or given some kind of consideration. Unfortunately this also impacts upon the way we feel we are being treated.
Garth got little thanks for using the last two days of his holiday to pick you up and drop you off at the airport – in fact, I 'got it' when I asked if you might be able to take the train to Bristol to meet Garth to take you back to the airport (I hadn't wanted to do the 2.5 hour round trip to Bristol by myself with a 6 week old baby). You were clearly angry, but I was surprised at this, given that Garth was already going quite out of his way to make your journey back home as easy as possible.
The only offer of assistance for grocery shopping for these 4 weeks was £10 from Tamary – bearing in mind that we'd been functioning on a significantly reduced income. We had assumed that Tamary would offer a contribution towards the fuel used to pick her up from the airport (nearly a 6 hour round trip x 2) – and felt really awkward when we eventually had to ask... I 'got it' again... Tamary stated how hard it was for South Africans to go on holiday in England (I didn't realise there was the expectation that we would be supporting the trip so significantly in terms of finance – this is definitely a conversation we should have had beforehand).
I didn't say anything at the time, because I didn't want a confrontation, we were trying to make it a happy time. In retrospect, this probably wasn't the best thing. By the way, I'm not suggesting that we're totally blameless in this story - my point is more that there are always two sides to every story, and this is our perspective, which I don't believe has been heard.
Anyway, I realise these are difficult kinds of conversations to have from other sides of the globe, but when my own character is brought unjustly (in my opinion) into disrepute I feel it necessary to find my voice.
Tamary, I'm sorry I couldn't speak with you further on the phone about this, but I didn't feel I was being heard.
I love you all very much.
Sasha
xx". We have had little communication since the sending of this letter. I wrote a hurt response back. I could not believe that she could have felt that I would have had any bad intentions towards her. I think of her every day. Any advise would be appreciated.
Rate this:

Parents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for parents.  It allows people who are raising a family to share stories about the adventure of parenthood in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about raising a family, or check out the writing contest for parents, quotes about parenthood, parenting etiquette, funny videos about kids, discounts for families, and other resources for raising a family on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your family, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy