Moving a Loved One to a Nursing Home Facility- How to Decide?

sarika_periwal
The decision to move a parent, family elder or any loved one to a nursing home can be not only difficult but positively heart rending. You could have doubts about your decision and question its wisdom. You may feel some amount of guilt because of the misconception that nursing homes are for people with families who don’t care for them.

However there is no need to feel guilty. You are by no means abandoning the loved one. Ultimately the decision has to be made based on what is best for all concerned and taking all the circumstances into consideration. Also keep in mind the fact that at some point, a nursing home could be the kindest option for an aged person. So should you place a loved one in a nursing home? Here’s what will help you decide:

Have you considered other options?

Sometimes it can make the most sense to have the parent move into your own home so that you can care for them, keep an eye on their well being and ensure that they are safe. If there is a meeting of minds and enough space in the home, this would be a good idea.

Adult day care could be an option to explore - this can be a good option because not only does a senior get the supervision and care that they need, they also get to engage with others and enjoy peer interaction as well as stimulating age appropriate, activities that can help to slow down physical and mental decline.

It can also be a good idea to hire professional caregiver help to look after the aged person in the home, whether they live by themselves or with you. This will help lower the stress and the feeling of being burdened that you may well be experiencing. So consider the option of some type of in home care-giving help. Consider all these options to see if any of them work for your set of circumstances.

Is a nursing home the only option?

Aged people could suffer from chronic conditions that require medical attention and could also have certain physical limitations and infirmities. These could mean that they can no long continue to reside in a regular family home. It could be that at some point, basic stuff like climbing stairs, keeping oneself clean etc, could become difficult and the aged person needs assisted living of some sort.

A person with Alzheimer’s or dementia could have difficulty with day to day functioning, could be imperiled by the habit of wandering off - these things pose a risk to the life and well being of the aged person and at this point you may have to consider a nursing home facility.

How to choose a nursing home

Assess the nursing home facilities - how far it is from home? Is the facility equipped with features such as disabled access, adequate elder supervision and sufficient medical practitioners to oversee health and wellbeing? What are the rules and the restrictions that the home places on residents?

Take a look at the premises - are they well kept, clean and hygienic? Are the quarters cramped or does there appear to be sufficient space and adequate means of relaxation and recreation? Does the staff appear to be friendly and relaxed or do they look hassled and harried? This could give you important insight into the sort of experiences and treatments that you can expert for your loved one.

Also check out referrals and online reviews about the nursing home or homes that you are considering. It can be a good idea to consult with a family doctor who is well acquainted with the family history and circumstances too.

Author Info:

Sarika Periwal writes family care and healthy living articles to live a better, more fulfilled life. She recommends the rehabilitation facilities at Bria Health Services for the complete healing and well being of loved ones.