I Can Do It! With YouTube

LJFields
I can do it! I flex my left arm muscle wearing my dingy jean shirt, rolled and tied appropriately. My paisley designed red head scarf wraps my unkempt hair. I am the new age Rosie the Riveter wielding the world wide web as her tool. I feel like Wonderwoman. And not her sidekick, either. I am the woman herself -- in all of her strength, power and badness. I can DIY and how-to with the best.

Yeah, I'm far from delusional. (I hope.) I do understand it's the 21st-century and not 1980-something. I am very aware of this fact. It is an undeniable verity affirmed by my obsessive reliance on anything that buzzes, shimmies and shakes to draw my attention to a post, a tweet, a message or a calendar event. Even if I shut down every mobile device I own, I am sure, something would still beep. These are my reminders of the dot com’s I willingly entangle myself in for hours when I should definitely be doing something else.

As a mother of a 4-year-old, embracing social media in all its forms is practically mandatory. Done responsibly, traversing informative websites is a not-so-secret secret superpower which adds to the “wonder” surrounding my female identity. “I don't know,” becomes “I will find out.” “I can I think,” becomes “I can do it.” “It’s not possible,” becomes “How does she do it?”

Social media havens, such as YouTube, enables, especially single parents who need guidance in order to conquer the inquisitive and determined mind of a preschooler.” Who is that, mommy?” “Why is that, mommy?” “What is that?” The answers, at least for my baby, must always come with a video explanation. “Mommy can I see it?”

Now, please don’t misunderstand me. I believe learning to read is best with book in hand. Always will. However, in today’s digitally inclined age, we can do more than show inanimate photos as an example of something that is very much alive. So we search for it and where we usually end up is on YouTube.

I want to know if my daughter is interested in ballet, playing chess or teach her a new language. YouTube has become a way to visually inspire her. To reinforce learning the alphabet or counting, I pull up an old episode of a favorite TV show. How do I and what do I need for this? Just YouTube it. The right channel and YouTube becomes the new millennium video encyclopedia with endless possibilities.

I am Wonderwoman or, at least, that's how my daughter tells it! Mommy just knows more than one way and more than one place to find the answers she deserves. So I wrap my hair, turn on my iPad and get to work. I can do it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL93C142AB158CCB86&v=fZ9WiuJPnNA

Comment by admin

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your YouTube essay being selected as our Adult Stages winning essay for the June / July 2014 writing contest.

We loved your vibrant approach about the usefulness of YouTube (and some of us even started looking up some of the home projects we need to conquer on YouTube for tutorials).

We will be contacting you via your registration email with more details.

Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:32:35 PM