STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Stolen Child

UnluckytheGun
Even as the very young, drug-addicted, and single mother of my only child, I was able to recognize early on that motherhood was never going to the happy cake-walk that I had watched all of the women I knew experience it as being; in fact, I always harbored a very terrifying notion of the chaos to come in my future as a mom. The first few years are a total blur, as I was under the habitual influence of heroin until 2000. After I came back from the dead, however – I can honestly say that I tried the very best that I possibly could have to correct the damage I had done to my daughter by being so “unavailable” in mind, spirit and body during her infancy. Drug addiction is something that rips countless families apart, worldwide. It is a chronic unavailability that compares to no other in the eyes of one’s child; and one so destructive and powerful that in many cases, children of drug-addicts cultivate serious emotional issues and behaviors as a direct result.

In my case, I was too late to protect my daughter from myself; my own very first introduction to the notion of genetic demons … the time-stopping realization that I had inherited the monkey on my back from my mother…the same monkey that seemed increasingly itchy to finally leave me alone. The damage had been done before I woke up and recognized the imposing result of the role to my model. Taken in combination with other environmental variables such as a back-stabbing, conniving, and self-serving Munchausen grandmother (my mother), the prognosis for the situation has always seemed grim, at very best.

During her elementary years, she swung up and down and back and forth in her mood, her dramatics were on a grand scale; and were always accompanied by exceptional performances for all to see. My daughter has always been what I call a “compulsive liar”: someone who lies for no apparent reason and without obvious gain outside of a personal gratification of some sort. Human beings with character traits like this are very unpredictable and far from trustworthy, because you’ve always got to second guess everything that they tell you; and often times that second guess is one that leads you to an ugly and unwelcome reality. Either way, I personally bore one of these souls, and have struggled for the entirety of her existence to understand and try to make sense of her –for her.

In hindsight, I have failed her miserably; I have come across in Motherhood as exactly the mom I never thought I was capable of having in me…I have become the unstable, elusive, forlorn spirit of a ghost of a ghost in her perception – that of a sixteen year old young woman whom I hardly know. She is the truest love of my life and heart and I would kill or die for her, no questions asked...but she is intrinsically ill-natured, a predisposition only exacerbated by the broken, sadistic child welfare system in California over time. She had a very hard childhood, in comparison to my own. She suffered from an increasingly common disorder called Precocious Puberty, which made her body grow too quickly and her hormones abnormal. The physical manifestations of this particular disorder are obesity, early puberty and menstruation flow, as well as premature pubic and body hair growth. She was teased relentlessly throughout her childhood by her peers; kids are horribly cruel. Some days when I would pick her up from school, she would just climb into the backseat and cry quietly the entire ride home…it was heartbreaking. When she was in fourth grade, she left school during the lunch break recess and walked to my mother’s house a few blocks away, aware that nobody would be there at that time of day. Upon arriving, she opted to chop through the back door with a full-size wood ax and went inside “to use the bathroom”.
It was at that time that I became desperate for outside help with her totally crazy behaviors; and I was able at last to be successful in what I truly believed would be something that would change her future for the better…I never could’ve imagined what was to come for us – for her. The nightmare that followed a few more months of struggles with my sanity and unrelenting dramatic events, well… it’s a nightmare that is actually the story of what has happened in Real Life. “Life”, for me has most certainly changed dramatically since those final days of my frustrated, tired, single motherhood. It’s been five whole years that have come and gone without her… it only gets harder as time goes by, not easier – there’s no healing from the loss of one’s very essence and identity, as defined by the loss of a child born to her.

My daughter is not dead in the technical sense, she is technically very alive; and if one were to observe official documents in the local courtroom, she is described as being well-rounded, thriving, highly intelligent and “a natural leader amongst her peers…”As far as my own opinion goes, my child is being held hostage by the Department of Family & Children’s Services of Santa Clara County, in an out-of-state facility (Arizona) in which she is essentially being swept under the carpet by the DFCS until she turns 18. Meanwhile, her life has been shattered emotionally, spiritually and psychologically by the heinous circumstances brought about by the court’s orders and the actions of the Department.

…To Be Continued…
Rate this:

Parents blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for parents.  It allows people who are raising a family to share stories about the adventure of parenthood in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about raising a family, or check out the writing contest for parents, quotes about parenthood, parenting etiquette, funny videos about kids, discounts for families, and other resources for raising a family on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your family, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy