Words to the Graduates: Through Their Eyes

Kelsmac2
Take a moment to look around you. What do you see?
Smiling faces, friends, classmates. All of you donned in caps and gowns, ready to go into the world and take it by storm. Fearless and charismatic, you’re ready to start careers, families, and dive into bright futures.
Now, look at one another again. This time, not as the people you may become, but as the young adults your parents have raised. Looking at your peers, you may see all the possibilities that lie ahead. But as I stand here at the podium, I have a clear view of your parents. And do you know what they see as they look down at you, their high school graduate?

They see a tiny, powdered baby, coming home from the hospital on a brisk autumn day. They remember lullabies they once sung to you, and can hear the sound of your first giggles. They see red crayon scribbles on their white bathroom walls, at perfect toddler height. They see chubby little hands holding a Popsicle on a hot summer day. They see a big, toothless, grin as you run to them with bare feet and open arms. They see a little boy jumping into the pool at his bravest moment, or a little girl twirling in a pink tu-tu at her first dance recital. They hear the sounds of your first piano recital, and remember the way that you beamed when you first tied your shoes.

They see heartache and happiness, laughter and tears. They see you as you were then, their little child, and they can’t wait to see where you will go next. They are so proud of you.

I know this because I have children of my own. And though I have not yet attended a graduation for my children, I imagine that my feelings will mirror those of your teary-eyed parents. Feelings that could make my heart burst, because the love that a parent has for a child is indescribable.

So when I sit and rock my baby to sleep, I will sing him a lullaby and hope that he remembers. Remembers that I love him, just as your parents love you. Remembers that when he too sits at his graduation ceremony, I will be up in the stands, rooting for him to become the man I know he can become.

Congratulations, graduates. You did it! Now go. Go into the world; be happy, bright, and be kind. Be the best child that a parent could ever hope to have. Both you and your beaming parents deserve it.

Very nice. Thanks for writing.
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 3:37:08 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May: Words to the Grads speech being chosen as winner in the adult stages writing contest.

We will be contacting you via your registration email about prize details.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:29:05 PM
Comment by Kelsmac2

Thank you!

I am so grateful to have been chosen as a winner!! My e-mail is [email protected].

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Kelsey McMurtrey
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 8:35:40 PM