In the News: Abortion Laws Divide People’s Views

mel_jenn13
Recently in the news, Arkansas has been noticed because of its ban on abortion after a woman is twelve weeks pregnant. People that are for women’s rights are protesting this because they say that the new law is unconstitutional. The supporters of the law say that termination of pregnancy should corroborate with the detection of fetal heartbeat. In most states, a woman can choose to terminate her pregnancy up to twenty-four weeks in which case the fetus already has a heartbeat and has a chance of survival if it were to be born premature.
Abortion is one of the main topics in the news that divides people. With abortion, someone is either pro-life or for women’s rights according to society. When in reality, someone can be both pro-life and for women’s rights at the same time. I do not think abortion is moral or right in any way, but I support the fact that women have the right to make their own decision even if I do not necessarily agree with that decision.
Abortion is a sore subject to bring up around people because it usually causes a debate between people who support it and those who are really against it. People do not usually like to bring it up in fear of offending someone with their views. More people, teens and young adults especially, should not be afraid to express their opinion and learn more about what they are discussing in order to not sound uninformed. Many teens and young adults have strong opinions about abortion but might not know everything about all of the different abortion laws. For example, different states have different times at which the pregnancy can be terminated. For Arkansas, it is 12 weeks, but for North Dakota the time is only six weeks. Many people have a problem with this law in North Dakota because the mother could not have even found out she was pregnant yet at six weeks and it would be too late for her to have the option of terminating her pregnancy. Teens should watch the news and read articles to find out about these laws so they can form a better opinion about where they stand on this issue.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the Family/Having a Baby/Grandparents stages winner for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:18:44 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.