No Fear: Love Does Conquer

beccanderson
The pain was overwhelming. Excruciating. Actually, it was beyond words’ capability to describe. I was too scared of the slim chance of paralyzation to have the epidural and somehow thought feeling every last stretch and tear would be a better choice. But what was to follow this trauma of natural childbirth was what really had me scared. I knew that soon enough the pain would end and its scars fade with time, but being a mother was a lifelong challenge. The molding of the character of this unborn girl would determine not only the outcome of her life, but that of all future generations she would bring into this world. How could I possibly measure up to the task? How could I teach her to be kind, loving, patient, when I myself could not always do that? Would she be receptive to what I wanted to share with her or belligerent and rebellious? Could any amount of reading, classes, advice give me the credentials necessary to be a mother? These fears consumed me to the point that in this moment the physical pain was almost a welcome distraction. Almost. But suddenly the pain was gone, the baby had come, the nine months of expectations were over. It was time for action. And I was certainly right about one thing: I was not prepared. I was shocked at the feeling of love that overcame me as they placed that tiny baby girl on my stomach and she looked at me for the first time. Her eyes seemed endless and I wondered how she could express so much with a simple gaze. They looked at me curiously, trustingly, and seemed to reassure me that everything was going to be just fine. It is said that perfect love casts out all fear, and in that moment I felt the absolute truth of that. In her stare I felt only of her love and was consumed with love for her to the point that I could not remember what I had been afraid of. The love and peace that washed over me slowed down the beating of my heart and told me to take one day at a time. I could not possibly foresee her life in that moment, and worrying too many years down the road would only lead to more worry and fear. I knew that I would not be a perfect mother and that she would not be a perfect daughter, but if I was motivated by that love in all that I did for her, we could not go wrong.
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the Having a Baby life stage winner for the March writing contest: "No Fear"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:04:39 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.