My favorite TV show: Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey doesn't drive a tractor

mbswrite
Downton Abbey, the castle, is crusted with moss and pitted with age. Its Bath-stone walls were put into place mid-nineteenth century. Grandeur is obvious yet the people within its walls face life issues just like the rest of the world.

Lord Grantham, head of Downton has problems. Stuck-up like the stereotypical aristocrat he's lost his wife's fortune, flirted and come close to having an affair with a housemaid and cannot or does not drive a tractor even though one of his daughters does. To his credit, he is friendly with his staff and even counsels them on occasion. Most tragically, he chooses a doctor based on appearance over substance to attend to his youngest daughter during childbirth. The baby is born but the mother dies. The regular family doctor, present at the birth, must bow to the wishes of pedigree.

Love and loss, jealousy, back-stabbing, growing up and getting older are just some of the events on Downton Abbey. Set in the early 1900's, world-changing events are in the air. A whole generation of young men wiped out during World War I have changed prospects for their families and the women they would have married. When the war is over, attitudes are different including the relationship between the aristocracy and their servants.

Lord Grantham, while head of the estate, may be dignified and in control on the outside but experiences his own inner turmoil. His world looks very different and he does not like the result. An heir is killed on the Titanic. A former prostitute works as a maid in a nearby house. One daughter marries the family chauffeur and another learns to drive and operate a tractor. These things just don't happen in his world.

People today, much more liberal by comparison would laugh at most things frowned on during the early 1900's. The war and the changes it evoked made things move more quickly. Today technology does the same. Computers replace workers in factories, books are challenged by electronic hand-held devices, wars are fought with un-manned drones and medical advances save more lives. Both today and during Downton's time big changes took place that forever altered the way people live.

Sunday nights in January and February are spoken for in our household. Each episode of Downton is watched with enthusiasm and the anticipation of future shows. Unlike many period dramas it is fast-paced, story-filled and innovative. Although its human interactions are set 100 years ago, many of the same are experienced today. Love, jealousy, greed, envy, compassion and the human condition never go out of style.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Ok, I know I have to start watching this program!! Nice essay :-)
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:27:53 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the Having a Baby life stage winner for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:15:03 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.