Do Second Babies Get a Baby Shower?

bugcandy
My wife and I are about to have a second baby in five weeks!

We're not expecting a baby shower this time around (we're having another girl - just like our first child so we really don't need stuff), but I was curious on what the "social norm" is regarding showers for second children?

We wouldn't throw this ourselves obviously but are curious. We've been to showers for second babies and then we've heard people say it's not exactly kosher. Both seem right.

Thoughts?
Comment by bugcandy

Thoughts?
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:35:05 AM
Comment by mommy9

I think it is a matter of opinion whether having a baby shower for baby number two is kosher or not. Our first three children were boys, so like you we were faced with this question. No one offered a shower for baby number two as we had just moved to a new community. However, with baby number three a friend had a surprise shower for us. We really did not need anything with boy number three. However, I knew it blessed the friend who wanted to give the shower. That was her gift to us. I do not think it was "unkosher".

Because we have a large family, when someone wanted to bless us with a shower with each new baby, we accepted. However, we asked for diapers, wipes, and frozen meals for those first couple of weeks. Those basic and practical things were more meaningful to us than having more baby clothes to wash and nursery items to clutter the house. Also, our friends would come to the shower ready to share a prayer, blessing, and words of encouragement for the new baby. Those were the most meaningful gifts and they did not cost the giver a penny.... they just gave a little of their heart and time. Congratulations!!
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:40:55 PM
Comment by bpritts28

What's wrong with having a shower for a second baby? She's just as important as the first, and I think the shower should be more about getting together the people who will be important in your child's life rather than the gifts they would be bringing.

And ps- I have a ton of toys from Caroline being an infant if you two are interested in anything for the new baby!
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:37:10 PM
Comment by hairlinefracture

Mommy9 has some good thoughts on this. I didn't ask anyone to give me a shower, but my friends wanted to. I had a boy after having a girl, so we needed some relief from the pink! However, I don't think most guests would mind bringing diapers, wipes, and gender-neutral items (like bath stuff, bottles, etc.) if that is specified. I went to a shower recently where we did just that. Everyone is thankful for more diapers!
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:50:59 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.