My Favorite Book: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss- Children Books Aren't Just For Children

maraia94
Maraia Cochran
November 5, 2012

My Favorite Book: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children Books Aren’t Just For Children

When I was a child, I could spend countless hours sitting and giggling at the extraordinary poetry of Dr. Seuss. I was always attracted to the odd ball names of the characters, and the funny events that took place in his books. I loved them all and made it my mission to collect as many of his books as possible. From The Cat and the Hat, to Green Eggs and Ham, my book shelf grew to a tremendous collection of child like humor inspired solely by Dr. Seuss. As my collection grew, so did I. After all the hard work I put in collecting these precious books, I decided I was way too old to still find them amusing. Secretly, they still were and probably always will be.

This past birthday, I was very excited to have received a present from my grandmother that was wrapped in pretty wrapping paper. As I quickly tore the paper off, I found my sense of an excited child again, that excitement grew into a beaming grin, as I realized what the gift was. My Grandma had gone out of her way to find a copy of Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham, my favorite of my past collection. To anyone else, this may have seemed extremely goofy, but to me, it was incredible. I am expecting a beautiful baby girl sometime in the next week, and have had my mind set for months on starting up a collection of Dr. Seuss’ wonderful stories yet again. How incredible to tell my daughter one day, that her first book she received from her beloved Great Grandma, was her Mommy’s favorite book as a child.

Each night I sit up and read Green Eggs and Ham to my little unborn baby girl. Some of the most incredible moments I have these days, are in the middle of my story reading, when I receive a cute little kick from my daughter. I know she’s listening when I read her these stories, and I cannot wait to have her old enough to understand the fascinating humor of Dr. Seuss. This will remain a favorite book of mine for the rest of my life, because it’s a reminder of not only my childhood, but my wonderful journey into motherhood. I know that my daughter is going to appreciate her building collection of Dr. Seuss books as much as I did when I was a child. Only this time, she will have a mother to remind her to never get rid of her collection. One day she is going to want to share these same moments lost in these childish books with my future grandchildren.
Comment by maraia94

Maraia Cochran
November 5, 2012

Children Books Aren’t Just For Children

Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 6:16:03 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.