Teen Pregnancy Prevention: The Reasons for this Trend

mVira
Teen pregnancy is one of the most common things there is in this day in age. This craze is everywhere from the television shows, to grocery stores, to even your own child’s school. Believe it or not thought this phenomenon is actually on the decline. There are still about 367,752 babies born to teenagers though. I believe that there such a decline in teen pregnancy for two reasons. One is that there is more contraception available to sexually active teens. The second is that there is more publicity surrounding these pregnant girls.
Teen contraception is almost available and affordable to everyone in this day in age. The use of birth control in teens has sky rocketed. I think birth control just gives teens an excuse to be sexually active and teaches that they won’t have to take responsibility for any of their action. The same goes for contraception for males. They can be found everywhere and cashiers will just sell them to anyone. If cashiers would just ask the ages of boys buying them and if they are under 18 to not sell it to them then I’m positive that numbers of teen pregnancy would go down. This is why I think that there are just more sexually active teens due to the availability of contraception.
Teen pregnancy has become a type of “craze” in the pop culture. Now there are shows, books, blogs, and all sorts of other forms of entertainment all with the topic of teen pregnancy. One benefits which I think attributes to the decline of teen pregnancy is that teens, girls especially, see how hard it is to have a baby when you’re so young. A lot of teens end up dropping out of school to take care of their babies. As well as sometimes their parents with kick them out of the house and not try to support them. Teens also see the emotional and financial stress that having a baby can put on one. For example, when a middle class girl becomes pregnant and gets kicked out and has no money they are usually forced to live a conditions that she has never been used to. An example of emotional strain is that in most cases the boyfriend will tell their girlfriends that they usually love them when in actuality they are only trying to do other thing. Those are two other reasons why the media has attributed to the decrease in teen pregnancy.
Teen pregnancy is a growing craze in the media and a hot topic in schools everywhere. Teen pregnancy has decreased for those reasons as well as people have turned that having sex before marriage doesn’t coincide with the values that their parents have taught them. If teens just stopped and thought before they act then I’m sure that there would be substantially less pregnancy then there are already is.
Comment by mVira

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:19:05 AM
Comment by maraia94

I am 18 years old.
I got pregnant at 17.
I am part of that craze.
And I am not ashamed of my daughter.
She helped me turn my life around.
I had dropped out of school, was doing drugs and drinking, and I was going no where with my life.
I got pregnant and I quit EVERYTHING. Cigarettes included.
I went back to school and got my GED.
I am now in college and have everything I need for my daughter.
I have a job, and I may be living off food stamps, but I am PROUD of how much my daughter changed my life.
I was kicked out of my mom's house and lived in a shelter for 4 months.
I did everything I needed to do and did it all on my own.
Don't forget about the few girls that take up the responsibility of their actions.
Or the ones who have benefited from it.
If it wasn't for my daughter, I'd be dead or in jail.
Remember the ones who have done everything they can, and will continue to do everything they should.
Not all of us are dead beat drop outs.
Sometimes, these babies are the things that make us grow up.
-Maraia
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 6:31:25 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.