Teen Pregnancy Prevention: Busy Being a Teenager and NOT a Mom

MerrittGambino
First off, I’d like to say that I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing; there is just a right time for it to take place. Pregnancy of girl teenagers – from 15 to 19 years of age – has had a downfall in numbers. Teenagers that are still in school are seen by today’s society as “careless”, “reckless”, and “irresponsible.” Teenage pregnancy rates are declining because of this, because they are aware of their future, television shows teenagers the reality of being a “teen mom”, and the thought of telling their parents is scary.
Who wants to be looked down upon and called names because they are having a baby? Not me, along with many other teenage girls. Adults and other teenagers frown upon raising a baby without full financial support. Girls see other girls being impregnated and often find themselves talking poorly about that person. “It was an accident,” they say. You still are pregnant and you are still having a baby.
Financial struggling makes it hard to get into college, making it important for teenagers to focus on more important things, such as their grade point average during high school. Girls getting pregnant throughout high school drop out, making it more than likely for them to not get a college degree; their future is ruined. I’m not saying having a child is a terrible thing, but it is for adults who are financially stable and are ready to begin a family. In this world’s society today, girls are able to do many jobs that a man is. Women see this and want to take the next step into their future, so they focus more on their grades and education, instead of boys.
Shows like 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom definitely make teenagers more aware of the reality of having a baby. Babies are not only “cute” and “fun”, but they are hard to handle. Babies suck up a woman’s energy, money, and time. Girls who watch these television shows begin to imagine what life would be like if they were to have a child of their own; the majority of them do not like what they see, holding them back from “making a baby.”
The thought of having a pregnant girlfriend is dreadful. A couple may converse about how they would tell their parents if the girl in the relationship was pregnant; what would they do? Many boys see teen pregnancy as “scary” and “unfortunate”. Because of this, teenage girls are more afraid to get pregnant; they do not want to lose their boyfriends or be judged.
Teenage pregnancy has declined majorly over the last few years. Teenagers see pregnancy as a struggle in their already stressful lives. In today’s society, college and careers are as important as ever, making girls work harder in their high school experiences. Also, television networks are providing a negative viewpoint on the subject. In conclusion, teenage pregnancy rates are witnessing a downfall.
Comment by MerrittGambino

Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:19:43 PM
Comment by maraia94

I am 18 years old.
I got pregnant at 17.
I am part of that craze.
And I am not ashamed of my daughter.
She helped me turn my life around.
I had dropped out of school, was doing drugs and drinking, and I was going no where with my life.
I got pregnant and I quit EVERYTHING. Cigarettes included.
I went back to school and got my GED.
I am now in college and have everything I need for my daughter.
I have a job, and I may be living off food stamps, but I am PROUD of how much my daughter changed my life.
I was kicked out of my mom's house and lived in a shelter for 4 months.
I did everything I needed to do and did it all on my own.
Don't forget about the few girls that take up the responsibility of their actions.
Or the ones who have benefited from it.
If it wasn't for my daughter, I'd be dead or in jail.
Remember the ones who have done everything they can, and will continue to do everything they should.
Not all of us are dead beat drop outs.
Sometimes, these babies are the things that make us grow up.
-Maraia
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 6:35:06 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.