STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nursing at work?

Penelope
If I had the option, I would stay home. But as it is with our budget, I must work. However, my employer doesn’t provide either a private place or a time for a breast feeding mother to pump during the work day. I’ve asked about this one-on-one with my boss but she refuses to budge on providing “special privileges” for some employees but not others. I don’t get it. I have coworkers who leave to walk outside for a smoke break but I’m seen as some trouble maker for requesting a place to pump. Am I out of line? Is there anything I can do to help my boss see the light?
Rate this:
Comment by justcallmemom

This information comes from: www.abbott.com
There is a booklet and DVD available to give to your employer to help them understand how important it is that the working mother continues to nurse and her needs for pumping at work. Hope this helps some.

Abbott Nutrition
Abbott Nutrition
Education
Back to Work
Returning to work outside of the home does not mean mothers have to stop breastfeeding. Many mothers purchase or rent breast pumps, allowing them to efficiently collect breast milk to feed their babies. Workplace lactation programs are important to support mothers employed outside the home. If the mother's workplace does not already offer an established lactation support program, the following materials may be useful in developing one.

Business Backs BreastfeedingTM: A Flexible Workplace Program for Breastfeeding Mothers is a turnkey program for employers and provides instructions, tips, and easy-to-use template materials to create a lactation program. The Business Backs Breastfeeding program is based upon a program model that has been tested in a variety of workplace settings. Ross is pleased to partner with Working Mother Media to promote and distribute Business Backs Breastfeeding. Working Mother Media is a provider of information and emerging trends about work/life issues to working mothers, business owners, executive decision makers, and human resources professionals. Working Mother magazine's signature initiative, 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers, is a benchmark for work/life practices in corporate America. More than 90 percent of employers who have earned a spot on this list offer workplace lactation programs.

Download and print a free copy of Business Backs Breastfeeding to share with an employer. Breast Milk Handling and Storage Guidelines explains how to express and then safely store breast milk.

Dear Employer Letter gives the health care provider an easy-to-use letter that encourages an employer to provide a flexible work schedule so that breast milk can be pumped or expressed at work.

Ross Breastfeeding Supplies, such as insulated cooler inserts for expressed breast milk, breast milk storage bottles, and individually prepackaged disposable nipple and ring sets are all available online or by calling (800) 258-ROSS (800-258-7677) to place an order.

Breast Pump Manufacturers provides a list of some of the most popular brands of breast pumps.

Supplemental Feeding offers helpful advice on supplemental feedings when feeding at the breast is not possible. The guide offers tips on expressing and storing breast milk and on supplementing with infant formula. The guide is helpful whether a bottle is used to supplement daily or occasionally.

"Do Not Disturb" door hangers are a convenient way for breastfeeding moms to ensure they have privacy at work when they need to express breast milk. Simply download, print, and cut out this easy-to-use door hanger.

Daily Log is a simple tool to help caregivers record the baby's feedings.

Hang in there - don't let your boss make you stop nursing!!
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:33:22 AM
Rate this:
Comment by RThiegs

I would look into the state laws as well. Some states have labor laws that now allow breaks for nursing mothers, but you may need to make the time up or not get paid for your breaks.
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:06:12 AM
Rate this:
Comment by nflemmens

Try to go above your boss on this one. Most companies may not have a policy for nursing mothers, but it is a a right that should be provided w/ national support. Check out the website by the LaLeche league and see what rights you have via FMLA act. Pumping actually takes less time and can be a more productive break, than smoking (where the participants cannot free their hands for working tasks). It was always a sore spot among me and my other "non-smoking" co-workers how many smoking breaks were allowed among our regular breaks. I now request a "non-smoker's break" where I leave my duties for approximately 30minutes-- like a smokers do. When I received complaints, I promptly reported my grievances to Human Resources. Since then, a policy has been instated that smoking breaks be limited to less than 10 minutes. Breast-feeding women, though, may have as much time as needed to provide the services to feed their baby.

Be an advocate. Even if it doesn't benefit you at this time, you can be assured that your efforts might benefit another mother in your position in the future.

good luck!
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 4:33:49 AM
Rate this:

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy