5 Tricks to Use When Your Toddler Does Not Want To Go To Sleep

submissions
It can be very difficult sometimes to get your toddler to go to sleep. It is even more difficult to do so when they do not want to. You would have tried to establish a routine but at times that could fail too. Once a toddler decides to play and not sleep, it is extremely tough to change their mind. Parents need to be patient and try to coax them into sleeping at such times.
When a toddler refuses to sleep and no amount of convincing and coaxing helps, you should know a few tricks and techniques which might help. These tricks would work in most cases but there are always some exceptions. Not all tricks work on all toddlers too. You need to know exactly what will work and when it will work on yours.
The most commonly exercised tricks are:
Let Them Play
Allowing your child to play for longer than usual could help in some cases. If the hour is not too late, let them enjoy themselves for a while. If you have established a routine, it will not be long before your child will get tired and want to sleep. This however, should not be allowed every time as it could end up spooling the routine.
Lighting and Sounds
Put your toddler in bed and dim out the lights. Once the room is darkened, the child will have limited visibility and therefore, will not get distracted easily. Also you should limit the sounds in the room. Making it as quiet as possible you should try to make the child go to sleep. This is very effective in most cases but again there could be some exceptions.
Pretend to Sleep
In some cases, by pretending to sleep, you can change moods of toddlers. Keeping in dark and quiet and convincing them that everyone but them is sleeping, toddlers have a higher chance of changing their minds. They could try to resist for a while but eventually they will adapt to the environment around them and decide otherwise.
Lullaby
This is probably the oldest trick in the parenting book. Singing a lullaby or even a simple song can help in getting your toddler to sleep. Research has shown that Lullabies have a soothing and relaxing effect on toddlers and they go to sleep much more easily. This technique has been widely adopted all over the world by parents and you could try the same.
Change the Environment
This too can help in many cases. Making a small change can help too. For example, if your child is used to sleeping in a certain amount of lighting, you could increase or decrease it. This has been seen to be an effective way of getting them to go to sleep as it helps in altering their moods. Although not as widely adopted as other tricks but can be useful in certain situations.

Mike is a father or two. He loves blogging about parenting. When he is not writing, Mike distributes girls toys for an Australian children toys store.
Comment by submissions

The most commonly exercised tricks are:
Let Them Play
Lighting and Sounds
Pretend to Sleep
Lullaby
Change the Environment

Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 9:16:28 AM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.