Baby food drama

thiegsr
Does anyone have suggestions for baby feeding? My doctor is concerned about my daughter (10 months old today!) because she doesn't like mushy baby food. She will eat a few different kinds of finger foods (mostly cheerios and bananas) and we have experimented with all kinds of food with her (we started trying solid foods when she was about 5 months old). When given baby food she turns her head and she will gag if it gets in her mouth. Because she has was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy when she was just a few weeks old, I wasn't concerned about her lack of interest in baby food. I feel like she will need to breastfeed longer and that the solids that she does eat (and the fact that she likes feeding herself and will eat from a spoon every once in a while) are sufficient for now. My doctor, however, is worried about her developing food allergies because she is not being exposed to enough baby food. He is also worried that she has oral aversion. My instincts tell me that everything is JUST FINE. Has anyone been through anything similar? Any advice?
Comment by mommy9

Yes, I have been through this with a couple of our children. Most of your baby's nutrients are still coming through your breast milk. The solids they eat in the first year are mainly for the purpose of introducing them to those foods. Two of our children did not like baby food. I would mash up some table food and continue to just try. However, I could not get them to eat much of that either. Finally , they came around. I believe they just were not ready. Now they eat like horses!! Every baby is different in their developmental pace. That does not mean there is something wrong. I would not be too concerned as of yet!
Posted: Friday, April 9, 2010 4:00:49 PM

Thank you so much for this. I think sometimes it is just nice to know that someone else has been through the same thing to validate my own feelings. My intuition has told me that our baby would need more time with eating, so why, do you think, our doctor makes it seem like she is so unusual?

Comment by Kristilynr

I am just seeing this now...so your little one is even older now. How is she doing? I agree with you though that breast feeding is the primary source of her nutrients and that it also sounds like she is eating some solids. My son also did not care for mushy baby food. I made home made purees for him and there were only a couple that he would actually eat. He would never eat the Gerber foods. I eventually found that he loved yogurt. He eats yogurt and cheerios everyday for breakfast. He is two years old and he has been eating this since he was 13 months old. I also started him on wheat toast with a little butter before he was one and he liked that too. Try some of the foods you eat that you know she can gum up in her mouth and find what she likes and doesn't like. It's definitely trial and error and each child is different. I hope she is eating well!
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:09:52 AM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.