Who makes the best diaper?

Penelope
With our baby on the way - I'm curious to hear what people think about the company that makes the best diaper and why?

Should I buy Pampers? Huggies? Luvs? Cloth diapers?

Who should get my business when I buy that first batch of diapers?
Comment by Penelope

Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 10:52:14 PM

PAMPERS! Huggies leaked and didn't fit our daughter well at all. We rarely had an issue with Pampers and they have a really great rewards program through their site. I considered using cloth diapers but when I went back to work there was no way that I could clean diapers all day long.

I recommend that everyone who has a baby and needs diapers checks out Diapers.com through this site. It rocks. You can order diapers through the site and they arrive at your house in 2 days. I have used the site about 7 or 8 times, and I usually get my diapers in about 24 hours and when you spend over $49 you get FREE SHIPPING! As an added bonus there are discounts for first time orders, sales all the time and they sell way more than just diapers.

Anyone who has ever struggled to get to the store to buy diapers or baby supplies (they even sell baby wash and lotion), should check out this site.
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:07:44 PM
Comment by ariagno

I second the recommendation for Pampers. The material from inside Huggies always leaked out all over my kids' skin - it looked like little tapioca beads. I have not had that issue with Pampers. I've used both Baby Dry and Cruisers, and both work equally well in my opinion. Good luck with your baby!
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:20:02 PM
Comment by tlcdoula

I think it really depends on the baby. I have known people to use one brand for one baby and then with the next it leaks terribly and isn't as effective. Plus you never know if baby will be able to tolerate the brand that you have purchased due to skin sensitivities, etc.

I would definitely suggest not stocking up on too many of one brand just in case they don't work for you. Plus with how quickly babies grow you just never know how many packages of one size you will need.

A friend of mine did something that I thought was neat. She purchased a store gift card and then each time she went to the store while still pregnant instead of buying a packages of diapers she put that amount of money on a gift card. Then when her baby was born and she needed diapers she used the gift card and was able to buy the brand and size that ended up working for her. She also didn't have to worry about where she would store all of those packages of diapers.

As far as cloth - that really is a personal preference. Some people love them and some hate them and some end up doing a combination of cloth and disposables. Just remember if you go with cloth you will need to wash them regularly.

Personally I use a combination of cloth during the day and disposables at night.
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:31:17 PM
Comment by hairlinefracture

I think it depends on your baby--even the size of your child's legs can make a diaper fit better or worse. You should try different brands--although at the very beginning, I loved the Pampers Swaddlers--they are so soft and never leaked. Later on, I always used the cheapest ones that worked well for us--not the very cheapest store brand, but the White Cloud brand from Wal-Mart. Now that my son wears a size 6 at night only, I use Luvs because they're easier to find. Good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:44:26 PM
Comment by mommyof2

Pampers fit the best for our son, hands down. He leaked out of the other brands. As an infant, whenever he peed and leaked, he woke up. Not fun for anyone. Once we switched we didn't experience the problem anymore. For girls I think there is more flexibility because the anatomy is different. Also, a great tip to avoid nighttime leaks is to have your baby/toddler sleep in a diaper one size larger than they use during the day.
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:00:19 PM
Comment by hairlinefracture

That's a good point, mommyof2. Whenever my son started leaking, switching to the next larger size fixed the problem.
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:54:09 PM
Comment by shamaker

For my first child, I used Wal-Mart brand diapers and had no problems at all. For my second, I went with cloth diapers and have not regreted it one bit. (I would have started the first with cloth, but we lived in a condo with no washer/dryer and thought washing diapers in the laundry room might freak people out.)

We've used Fuzzi Bunz brand pocket diapers for the second through fourth children. The pocket diapers are great because you can add extra layers for nighttime or during the day. I added a microfiber cloth (like the kind you can buy to wash your car) as an extra layer during the day for my boys, as they seemed to leak more without that little bit of extra stuffing.

I recommend buying cloth diapers if you're planning on having more children, as you really save money with cloth diapers over multiple kids (although you do save money even with one).

One extra plus with cloth diapers is that your child may be ready for potty training sooner than with disposables, which I found to be true with two of my children (the third one in cloth diapers is too little right now).

A good place to look for cloth diapers is cottonbabies.com, which sells a bunch of different brands that you can look at for comparison.
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:03:47 PM
Comment by SaraThiegs

We've been very happy with BumGenius CDs. And now that our second baby is wearing them, it's money saved! Cloth diapers (pocket variation) are remarkably easy and much less gross that the cloth diapers of the past. We just plop the number 2's in the toilet and the diaper is tossed in a laundry bag-lined trash can (Swaddlebees brand is best in my opinion) until laundry day- which is generally every-other day. BG brand has a one size option that un-snaps as your baby grows. The diaper velcros around your baby- no pins. Some brands snap but we prefer the velcro for ease of adjustment. We purchased our BG diapers on cottonbabies.com. Their customer service is stellar. True you will increase use of energy heating your hot water heater for the wash but smaller landfill contributions, much fewer chemicals against your baby's skin, and less money spent in the long run are big thumbs up in my book!
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 7:26:03 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.