Days Last Forever But Years Fly By

LisaGraf
Dear New Mother To Be:

Just like you; I read and reread every What to Expect book, notebooks prepped for diapers, hair ties ready for breastfeeding reminders, clothes washed in Dreft & organized, "Baby Einstein" movies queued up, and LaLeche League on speed dial. I was ready to receive Mommy of the Year Reward before my sweet Ella even entered the world. All of the TLC Baby Stories, books, and birthing classes did not prepare me for the near death experience after delivering a healthy 8lb 10oz baby girl. My husband pulled away from the curb and a panic overcame me; not only did we have a bumpy 30 minute ride home, but I no longer had a nurse call button. We made it home; I immediately synced my watch to feeding times, the notebooks, and my hair ties were ready. My focus was not on this beautiful blessing my husband and I were given; rather I had become Logistical Manager of the Graf House. First doctor visits were complete with exact feeding times, estimated feeding amounts according to what was expelled into diapers, and sleeping times down to the minute.
Five years later, my husband & I find ourselves awaiting the birth of a fourth child to the family. I couldn't even tell you which book box the What to Expect book might be in; matter of fact it likely sold in the garage sale this last summer after we decided 3 children completed our family. Now, I watch that other TLC Show, "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" and actually relate, having gone 12 weeks without a clue. I have not kept a diaper notebook since our second child was born. Which ever breast hurts worse is probably the one last used. Pretty pink clothes are packed away in totes and will eventually get washed with everyone else's' clothes. This baby will enjoy Dora and Curious George with the older three. Ultimately, I'm just hoping to make it to those first doctor visits on time.
There's not a single golden key of advice to birthing and surviving that first month home from the hospital. Sure you will hear resounding phrases like, "sleep when the baby sleeps," learn countless methods of swaddling, feeding, & diapering a baby, and no need to know LaLeche League's number, the 'Breast Nazis' will call you! Forget the notebooks, turn off your DVD player, silence your phone, and love the new child you have been blessed with. Cherish the newborn smell and softness of skin. Take 500 pictures just to capture the one gas induced smile. As slow as you think the days tick by & how you're sure to not forget a single thing; journal about the first time your baby made eye contact and melted your heart. The years will fly by, you won't remember when baby slept for four hours straight, and soon you will manage logistics of fetching your children from various colleges and trying to keep their current phone numbers on speed dial.

With Love,
Seasoned Mother of soon to be 4
Comment by LisaGraf

Dear New Mother To Be:

With Love,
Seasoned Mother of soon to be 4
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 2:57:57 AM

Lisa!
This is a great post and we love having you involved with Stage of Life. Keep up the great writing and advice :)
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 5:35:30 PM
Comment by NanaB

AMEN! So well written and love your smile! I couldn't agree more:) Nana B.
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:59:30 AM
Comment by LisaGraf

Thanks so much Nana B, I'm glad you enjoyed this and your timing couldn't have been better! It was great to reread this and remind myself that it will be ok to slow down a bit and enjoy our newborn who will arrive this Friday!
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:18:55 AM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.