“The Baby Is Coming!” How to prepare for the coming of your new-born

Deane
First of all, congratulations on your on your pregnancy. You are about to enter the most important stage in life –Motherhood, and with it comes its ups and downs. I remember I was very excited when I learnt of my pregnancy and each day my tummy grew bigger, I could imagine having little Timmy in my arms, crawling in the living room, taking his first baby steps, running in the backyard with his playmates, his first day in school,…all the way to the time he’ll start his own family. I was so much caught up in my own thoughts of how am bringing new life into the world and how I’ll love it to the end of days that I forgot to prepare for what I was getting into. If only I knew what was coming!

All the pretty fascinations I had soon turned into a nightmare. The constant crying and the sleepless nights; don’t get me started on the diaper changes, frequent nursing and sick days. Motherhood can still be a great experience but only if you prepare early in advance. Do not get caught up like I did.

Here is how to ensure you are fully prepared both psychologically and physically for the coming of your baby.

Acceptance

The first thing you need to do is accept that you are bringing someone new into your circle of life. Acceptance comes from within you. Babies are helpless and will depend on you to feed them and take care of them. Therefore, know that things will change. You will have very little time to yourself, unlike before. Take one day at a time; no-one expects you to be perfect the first time. Also, know that your physique will alter, but this can change depending on how you decide to shape your lifestyle thereafter.

Change of schedule

With the coming of the baby, certain things in your daily plan will automatically have to change, for example, you should learn to nap when the baby naps in order to maximize on sleep, since most times in the night you will be awake. Also, you have to feed nutritious foods for the supply of breast milk for your child

Don’t hog the baby

Share the baby with Daddy as well and ensure they have ample time together. Remember, his voice and touch is different from yours so dad and baby spending time together will allow them to bond. Also, remember that your partner is there to help so mummies, please involve your husband in taking care of the baby. Take shifts at night to sooth the baby to sleep as well as diaper changes, and doing his births. This will relieve pressure on you in taking care of the baby.

All in all, babies are bundles of joy. Remember, it is not an exam and the best way to learn is by experience itself. After my first baby, Timmy, things were much simpler when I had Lindy two years after.

Author Bio:

Deane Abbate worked as a psychiatrist before quitting her day job to settle for full-time blogging. She is a passionate writer who likes to share on family based on her personal experiences, hoping that her readers’ will grasp useful tips from them. With her experience in psychology, Mary also does part-time on various topics. Other than her writingwriting for courseworkservice.co.uk, she enjoys spending time with family.

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.