The Ultimate Gift

jasoncaleb
The gift I would really like this holiday season is peace of mind. I am the husband to a pregnant wife, who is really picky about how everything should be. The issue at hand is that in the condo we are renting, we are preparing to get the baby room ready, yet there is a problem. There is an odd smell coming from that room. It doesn't really bother me, but it extremely bothers my wife. She gets paranoid that it could be something hazardous and perhaps a mold is hiding somewhere. She has right to be concerned I'd say, I mean she's going to be a first time mother, and so it is something very new to us and she doesn't want anything to go wrong. She doesn't want the baby room to have this weird smell.

So we've been working with our landlord to see if we can figure something out with it. The problem is we can't seem to find any particular place the smell is coming from. It's as if it encompasses the entire room. Not only this, but we've been talking lately that this might not be a good place for us to live for the next three years because we're barely making it by as it is as far as our budget goes.

It's just frustrating because I'm going to school full-time, and I do the best that I can to support my small family. And it's just disappointing when things can't go the way we'd like them to. I am aware that this is part of life. We are young, we are married, we are having a child, and we rent, and it will probably be a long time before we ever own a house. So this is what we have to deal with.

The ideal gift that would pamper me this year, would be peace. Peace and quiet. No complaints, no frustration, nothing to get worked up over. Very soon now, we will be joining the "parent" club. And in this club, peace and quiet seem to be hard to find once you become a parent. I don't wish for a new condo with no problems. I don't wish for more money or for any sort of wealth that could buy all the easy fixes in life. I desire peace; peace to deal with life.

Comment by jasoncaleb

Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:12:34 PM
Comment by bugcandy

You hit the nail on the head...peace.

Sometimes we all just want life to slow down for a moment so we can enjoy a simple moment without the stress or pressure of all our obligations.

From your blog here, I think you've got a big, positive head start on a lot of new Dads, because you're right...it's not about money or a new house (or condo). It's about creating a calmness that will foster a loving home for you, your wife and your new baby. I too wish you peace, and I look forward to reading more of your insights.

Best to you and your new family!
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:34:34 AM
Comment by jasoncaleb

Thank you.
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 1:44:34 PM
Comment by krischbadv

It's almost scary how similar your situation is to mine. I just had a baby about 8 weeks ago and i went through the same "smell" issue!! My husband and I just bought our house a little over a year ago and it was literally my dream home. When we decided it was time to start a family I could have never predicted what had happened. When morning sickness hit all of the sudden I had this crazy heightened sense of smell. I could hardly stand being in our home. We tried everything... cleaning, new flooring, ventilating the basement. NOTHING WORKED. Not being about to decide exactly where the smell was coming from... it was hard to fix. It took it's toll on me and my husband. Even while in the hospital I was anxious to bring the baby home. I just couldn't shake the feeling I was bringing him home to an unsafe environment.

BUT

After a few weeks of being home.... the smell issue got better. And a couple more weeks almost completely gone. So, in my situation it was a hormonal issue that eventually went away. Hopefully my story can at least give you some peace of mind that it does get better and most likely it will go away.
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 6:03:09 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.