El Nina

clarinet2016
Pamela awoke with a start as a striking pain racked her body. “MOM! DAD! MARK! IT’S TIME!”, she cries. Jean, her mother, burst through the doorway taking in the scene. Pamela is doubled over her bed, one hand clutching the creme colored sheets, and the other is clasped in her husband’s hand. Pamela cries out once more, ”Mom...th...the baby...she’s..she’s coming.”
“BOOOOM!” Jean started as the thunder quaked the house, “I’ll call the ambulance! Hurricane Lake has overtaken the streets! We can’t get to the hospital!” She races to the phone, her heart pounding in time to her rapidly moving fingers.
The receiver beeps three times before the dispatcher responds, “911, what is your emergency?”
“My daughter is going into labor! I need an ambulance!”
“Yes ma’am, help is on the way.”
Jean slams the receiver in place and races to Pamela’s side. “Breath honey,” she croons while stroking pamela’s sweat streaked hair,”the ambulance is coming.”
Half an hour later the EMT’s tear through the relentless downpour carrying a pain stricken Pamela with Mark hot on their heels. “I’ll follow them to the hospital and when I get there I’ll call and tell you the safest way!,” Mark calls to jean as he plunges the key into the ignition of his Dodge Caravan. He treads through the rising waters after the ambulance, taking note of the route he’s pursuing.
When he reaches D.W. McMillan Hospital he throws open the car door and wades into the waiting room. Stopping to catch his bearings he calls Jean. “You’ll have to take I-65, then get on Highway 41 to reach Brewton safely,” he ends the call as a nurse thrusts a clipboard into his hands.
“Sign this please, you’ll be in Room 293. Thank you sir,” she demands before scurrying down the white washed hallway. Mark hurries after her in search of his beloved’s hospital room.
“CRASH!” Jean storms through the door with thunder in her wake in time to witness the birth of her grand-daughter. Doctor Walker, a stout man of 32, approaches Pamela. “What will you name her?” he inquires.
“Madison,” Pamela whispers in awe at her new-born,”Madison Lynn Buffington.”
Doctor Walker, consoling the distressed child, turns to Mark, “Sir, would you like the honor of carrying Madison to the nursery?”
Mark stares, pale-faced at the doctor as if he had asked him to hold a serpent. “No...no sir, I don’t,” he responds.
Feeling appalled at Mark’s audacity, Jean steps forward,”I’ll take her.”
“It’s alright, Mom-mom’s got you, Mom-mom’s got you.” She takes the infant girl in her arms and croons softly to her. With tears of joy in her eyes, Jean carries the now silent child down to the nursery. She counts Madison’s fingers and toes, carefully examining her for any deformities. Finding none, she whispers promises only a grandmother will fulfill.

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.