STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: A will to live

glpjr
He presented himself to the world without aid, while I was laying crooked on a gurney. It was the wee hours of the morning in a little 8 bed hospital. There was only one nurse, who was quite long of tooth. She had come in to check me, walked away saying I had lots of time but as she reached for the door handle a contraction hit and I yelled. "The baby's coming."
This was my third child and I knew the drill, I knew that it took a long time to dilate to five, but when I got there it was a matter of minutes. She hesitated, I yelled again and she hurried over, raised the blanket, raised her hand to her mouth saying "the baby's cresting" as she hurried into the delivery room for the gurney to transport me.
She realized we were close and that she needed to call the doctor. This was when there were separate delivery rooms, no phones in rooms, and no cell phones. As the door began to close behind her I felt the urgency of this child wanting to check out his new world. Try as I might I could not stop his propulsion into the world and as he slithered from my loins I'm sobbing. "Somebody catch my baby." I was grateful when I felt him stop by my ankles shortly before the nurse returned.

Within minutes the doctor joined us. "just couldn't wait a few more minutes for me to show up?"
I knew that early morning that our life together would be interesting.. The next day I learned he had a Hypospadias, (the opening on the penis wasn't on the end) and that they would have to keep him an extra day to make sure he was peeing. Sadly in all the attention to that region and a baby having a fast heart rate, it was not noticed immediately that he had a bad heart.. That was realized when he had his first pneumonia at 2 months of age.

He was born with a duct at the top of his heart that should have closed but didn't and a ventricular septal defect, a hole about the size of a quarter in the lower ventricle. Surgery was recommend but I was married to an ass and he kept postponing appointments until the day he asked a doctor who was being very forceful with him about the need to have the surgery. My then husband asked what his chances of surviving the surgery if we went forward.. the answer was about 30% with and zero % he'd last another year without. So thank God forward we went.

He was scheduled to be seen at the University of California Medical Hospital in San Francisco. He was almost three by then. He was a little charmer and the medical staff was wonderful.. many tests were run we found out that he had a bulge in the artery into the lungs and that added to the risk, not only of the surgery but if he didn't have it.. a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

We waited for over 8 hours as that first surgery was done, it was closed heart surgery. We would get updates throughout the day. He made it through, we saw him in recovery and then he was taken to his room. When the surgeon came in to see him, that young boy was sitting up on the edge of his bed, blowing up a surgical glove. The doctor looked at him with tears in his eyes, saying "I take no credit for what you see here. All that I know tells me he should not have survived the surgery. He is a miracle. It's his desire to live that keeps him here."

That desire saw him through open heart surgery, five surgeries to repair the hypospadias, many pneumonias, a cardiac arrest during a heart cauterization when he was twelve, a motorcycle wreck at age 14 and a shotgun blast to his left arm when he was 20. He is now 48 years old and I believe it is his will to live that keeps him with us. I'm sad to say he's lost his appreciation for the struggles, yet he fights to live.. and I am grateful every day.
Rate this:

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy