5 Practical Tips to Get Back to Normalcy After a Baby

sarika_periwal
A new mom and her demanding new baby who seems to take up all of her time… balancing home and work; ensuring that there is food on the table, older kids fed, laundry done. For many women who work outside the home, there is also the need to ensure that there are no compromises on the work front. Where is the time to try and fit in an exercise routine in all this! Or the time to plan and cook special low cal meals in the many, many other things that need doing!

Take it easy!

Doctors and other experts advise that new moms shouldn’t even think about losing weight; particularly about any type of dieting until their baby is 6 weeks old. And if you seem to feel hungrier and feel the need to eat more than you did during your non-pregnant state; that is completely natural. Cutting down on calories is ill-advised for several reasons - one, the body itself needs to recover from the rigors of pregnancy and childbirth. Secondly, extra calories are required for breastfeeding. Thirdly if you cut down on calories, your body’s metabolism may slow down, stymieing your weight loss efforts.

Eat right

Your body does need the extra calories - for yourself and for your baby, so consume those. However ensure that you eat healthy. Have fresh, natural produce that is rich in protein such as eggs, lean meat, fish and milk products, and eat quality, complex carbs that are rich in nutrients such as fruit and vegetables, whole grains and so on. Having minimally processed food ensures that your body gets the nutrition it needs without unhealthy preservatives, artificial additives and so on.

Breastfeed

It’s amazingly convenient, it is best for your baby and it’ll help you lose weight too. There are plenty of reasons to breastfeed and no real reason not to. You will lose hundreds of calories each day by way of breastfeeding your new baby without having to move a muscle!

Get help

Sometimes it makes sense to get help from a friend or family member. Get some time for yourself even if it means hiring outside help and prioritize your health and wellbeing. You may also find that there are products out there that can help, such as the breath trainer. This is a respiratory trainer that applies metered aero-dynamic resistance to improve overall health and wellness. Using this during daily exercise can have the same impact as resistance training, helping to improve energy levels and lung capacity, reduce stress and to oxygenate the body.

Get moving

Speak to your doctor and start to get physically active as soon as your doctor says you can. Take time out for walks or a bike ride. Walk to the store with baby in a stroller rather than taking a car. Consider getting a stationary bike or a treadmill for the home so that you can get in some exercise at any time of the day, as soon as you have a spare moment. You can use the baby’s nap time for a quick workout for instance.

About the Author:

Sarika Periwal writes healthy living and self improvement articles for online publications. She recommends using the respiratory trainer from Breathslim to help deal with weight issues, and improve breathing technique and lung capacity.

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.