Yours, Mine, and Ours...sort of

mcoly618
As a twenty-year-old female who has been surrounded by infant nieces and nephews for the past ten years, maternal instincts have kicked in. Although, I personally have not been pregnant or given birth to child, I have first hand witnessed the birth of an adorable baby boy into this world and I have forever been changed.
Getting “the call” was one of the most anticipated things for me, being away at college, missing the pregnant best friend and sister-in-law in her final weeks. As the time drew nearer classes went longer, meetings seemed to never end, and I seemed to never sleep. If I missed that phone call that would shatter everything, I had already missed the birth of my beautiful baby niece, and sister to new baby, due to an emergency c-section. Finally, I got the call and hit the road for my hour and half drive to our local hospital. I got there in record time, it seemed, only to sit and wait for the next 18 hours for this little boy to make his big entrance.
I spent the majority of the time in my sister-in-laws room talking and waiting with her and my brother. We had talked about this situation in times previous, she telling me that “I WOULD BE THERE” As a best friend it’s a privilege and a honor to be able to be with someone you care for in that special time. We joked of how I wouldn’t be able to handle it and would ruin the home video footage or how my brother would pass out because he hates blood. But here we all were, just waiting. It was a surreal feeling, knowing that I had watched this belly grow over nine months, painted and decorated a apple slice green babies room, planned a overwhelming surprise baby shower, and here we were just sitting and waiting. I don’t think that a person can feel such a connection to another person, then when they are bringing another life into this world. I stood next to a moaning, vomiting women who I am proud to call my best friend, rubbed her back, held her foot, put a cold rag on her forehead and neck, and coached her through the birth of my baby boy nephew. While my brother stood silent in awe by her other side holding her other foot as she pushed. If anyone wouldn’t have known they were married they probably would have thought she was having my baby. My eyes filled with tears as he came out full head of hair, ten fingers, ten toes, the whole shebang, I hugged her and kissed her forehead and was overjoyed knowing that I had just experienced the miracle of life. I was the first to take a picture of him, lying under the heat light while getting his umbilical cord clamped. I handed him to my sister-in-law, then took him away as she vomited some more, and gave him to my brother. I laughed, I cried, and was in complete shock that I took a control and helped coach. I stayed there with “my family” for the next few hours then retreated home only to return a few hours later.
In the days and weeks to follow, I had an overwhelming sense of respect for women and mothers especially. I felt empowered to be a women, strong that I had stuck it out, and was excited to watch this belly- turned baby boy turn into a toddler, teen, and man. I teared up when I even thought about the experience and when a read this after writing it. I thought constantly of life and the precious gift that it is. I wondered of all the possibilities of my future, and I don’t think I will ever be the same. So even though I am young and childless, child birth has shaped a part of me into something that I’ proud to be.
About a month later I received a text from a close friend whose sister was going into labor, she also was to be on the room. I simply replied, “It’s craziest things you’ll ever see or do!”

Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:53:16 AM
Comment by tlcdoula

Just curious if you have ever thought about becoming a birth doula? That is exactly what you did for your sil and brother and it is a real "job." In fact that is one of my jobs. i work as a birth doula and have the priviledge of seeing many babies entering the world and with each one I am in awe of the wonderous things our bodies can do.

It is one of the most precious and rewarding things to do - being invited to this special day and event is such an honor!
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:54:07 PM

I think that I would absolutely love to be a doula but I doubt that I would be able to do it for people that I don't know. It was one of the most powerful experiences of my life.
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 8:13:14 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.