I am Scared of Scorpions But I Have an Idea

Kukolina

I was getting out everything from the mini bar preparing my breakfast (we live in a hotel HAHA) when I saw a scorpion walking near our son, Zoárd.

I picked Zoárd up and I put him in his crib. I searched for the insect with my eyes. I was extremely scared but tried to stop the mantra in my head: "I am a city girl; I am a city girl; I am a city girl!!!"

I spotted it again. Oh. It turned out to be a friendly, brown, forest bug that got caught in my hair (my hair is always on the floor since it falls out intensively – postpartum…). I watched it as it found a new hide-out.

I was upset about the whole incident. I went on the Net. I only found articles on what to do after you got stung by a scorpion but I did not find anything on how to behave BEFORE.

You are not supposed to touch them. Great!
They are not out to get you. Really?!
You should only try to catch them if you got stung by one and you need to take it with you to the hospital. Easy! Ice and a little bit of pressure can help ease your pain.

Is this helping me be less scared of scorpions?!- I asked myself.

Not exactly. It got me thinking… oh no, not that! HAHA

It was so natural for me to start being negative about everything right after I got frightened. It reminded me of a self-help technique that helped me a lot in the past.

You take your diary (journal) and start writing like you are in the future. You write about how you overcame the problem that you used to have (that you are facing now). You can do this exercise as many times as you need to.

Here is an example. It was 2011 and I was super sad about not being pregnant. This is what I wrote:

“I am sitting on a bench watching them. They are so cute as they are playing together. How did I get here? I had to hold on to the thought that modern technology allows almost everyone to have a baby. Even if it is difficult but you must keep going. You must understand that wanting a baby means you will have one even if you don’t know when. It is similar to the days, weeks, months, years when I wanted a boyfriend. The question was never: will I even have one? It was: when will I find Mr Right?”

So that is the little exercise to overcome current anxieties. I sound like a shrink! HAHA

"Boo!" That is for you my scorpion friend.
Comment by Kukolina

They are not out to get you. Really?!

Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:36:41 AM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.