Presents for Baby

TracySmiles
So, in a few weeks my first and only nephew is turning the big first digit, one year old and as his favorite (and only) aunt it is my job to get him something awesome for his birthday. As a college student and younger sibling, I have absolutely no child-rearing skills what so ever or have any idea of what babies would like to play with or receive for their birthdays. I can only go by what I see other people buying for kids and precious memories remembered from my own childhood. It was on this line of thinking that I bought my nephew one of those wondrous Sit N’ Spins that I loved so much as a child (I would like one now even) when it was on sale at work a few months ago. It was only after I got home that I realized it was for kids who were almost a year older than him and he could not play with it for some time to come. I guess I am ahead on my 2014 Christmas shopping then. I’ll have to call dibs on it now so that nobody else will buy one as well.

So with only two weeks away and a modest college budget I turned to my mom (a.k.a. grandma) and asked what she would recommend I buy for little Jake. Luckily she had the same discussion with my brother the night before and was able to enlighten me on little Jake’s current baby need: clothes. Apparently, my nephew is following in the steps of the Chopek family and growing like a weed. I think he is about 6 months ahead in terms of physical growth. Not the most fun thing in the world for an awesome aunt to buy her nephew but I had the Sit N’ Spin in my back pocket so I figured I would be forgiven for this one birthday.

With clothes in mind I went to the store with my roommates. I perused the baby/toddler section while they searched for jackets and pants. First of all, I have to say how creative the baby clothing community has become with their limited age group clientele. I saw bright sparkly tutus, Superman footie PJs, a hundred different my mommy or daddy is #1, and racks of the cutest socks and shoes for little feet in the world. Second, I was amazed to find how they split up the clothing sizes for babies; instead of one size fits all, they have one size lasts 6 months. Which I guess if you think about how fast babies grow it makes sense but still. Lastly, I was appalled by how much everything costs. One cute little cartoon robot t-shirt is typically $12, and it only lasts for a few months. I knew babies were expensive but I always thought it was the diapers and formula that got people.

Anyway, I kept looking around at all these cute little outfits (none of which mentioned aunts by the way) and everything just kept getting pricier and pricier. I was afraid would only be able to afford a pair of socks until I came to the clearance and sale section, and then I couldn’t decide. I figured since it is getting colder he would need something warm with long sleeves. Then I thought, wouldn’t something that would last longer than the winter be better? I kept going back and forth between the baby section and the sections my roommates were looking at to ask for their opinions, though truth be told they probably had about as much of an idea for what to get as I did. In the end, I settled on two really cute pieces that will hopefully last a while: a little gray hoodie with smiling, geometric shapes and a long sleeve onesie with a cartoon raccoon face in the middle. I feel a little cheap only getting two things for my nephew but I just remember that the rest of my money is going towards a few good causes, food, my education, and better birthday presents in the future.
Comment by TracySmiles

Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 4:31:22 AM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.