Unsung Hero: A Watchman Was His Identity

guptatrisha97
Under the banyan tree by the park’s quarter, sat an old, ragged, bearded man. Every day, at the stroke of midnight, without any dally, he blew his whistle sitting in the nook of the gate. He sat there, warding the thieves away by his warnings even in the most adverse climatic upheavals. I remember being able to sleep soundly every night, thanking his presence and appreciating his sheer diligence. I was a ten year old girl then, yet that man cannot be erased from the canvas of my mind. A ‘watchman’ was his identity. A true ‘hero’ was his personality.
Today, people have hyperbolized ‘Spiderman’, ‘Superman’, ‘Batman’ etc. to be their personal heroes but I plead to differ. It is people like him who ought to receive such a title for they relentlessly serve for our well being. That regular, ordinary man had some extraordinary qualities. He was punctual in his job, every thief was afraid of him to such extent that fraud had nearly absconded from our otherwise theft-prone society. People used to find it odd when I told them about him, praising him impertinently but I remained adamant for somehow, I loved the way he explained to us why he whistled every night. “It is human psychology to fear dreadful circumstances even if they are least likely to happen. A mere ‘I am here’ soothes every troubled soul.”
Then came the night I most dread, the night when my hero proved his mettle. It was a full moon night, the dogs were barking, the sky was starless. Feeble footsteps on the porch of our society’s guard house made him get on his feet. He used his stick to beat the intimidating man who reciprocated with a bullet. The bullet had hit him in the shoulder, that profusely bled, yet the watchman didn’t cease to whistle, just so that we could sleep soundly. He bravely thrashed the thief and called for the police. The formidable person was arrested but my hero was injured. No one realized the gravity of that situation. Had the watchman given up, our lives could have been in danger. This incident was narrated to me by my father very considerately. Two nights later, he was back on his duty, whistling away just so that we could sleep in peace. Few weeks later, we received the news of his demise. His old body had given way.
Till date I wonder why we harp on people who are fictional when on a mere look around us, we will come across many such wonderful and doughty beings who sacrifice their own lives for others’ well being. The man had never shown his back to the call of duty and without any flaunt, he had saved our lives every night. A ‘watchman’ was his identity. A true ‘hero’ was his personality. No name was required for him in the essay for one word is enough- ‘hero’, an ‘unsung hero.’

We are pleased to inform you that your essay has been selected as the winner of our January 2015 Unsung Hero Writing Contest (for stages that are not high school or college). You should be very proud of this accomplishment.

We have prizes to send to you, and we will be contacting you via your registration email for details.

Thanks so much for adding your voice to our mission to Change the World, One Story at a Time.

Rebecca A. Thiegs
Stageoflife Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:21:01 PM

Baby blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for expecting parents or parents who recently had a baby.  It allows new parents the opportunity to share stories about their pregnancy and advice on the adventure of having a baby in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about having a baby, or check out the writing contest about babies, quotes about having a baby, baby etiquette, videos about having a baby, discounts for babies, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your pregnancy or baby, and pass along your wisdom to other new parents to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources.