Minnesota Real Estate Broker appearing on NBC's "THE APPRENTICE" is raising money to help support suicide preventation

Bob
Whether you're a fan of the Donald Trump's TV Show, The Apprentice, or not, you've got to check out this press release:

NEW THE APPRENTICE CONTESTANT TAKES ON THE BOARDROOM AND SUICIDE PREVENTION

WOODBURY, MN -- Inspired by his role this season as a contestant on The Apprentice, real estate hard-hitter Wade Hanson has created his own unique business challenge designed to raise funds and awareness for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) by selling 60 homes in 60 days.

Hanson lost his sister, Susie, to suicide ten years ago.

“I’ve long wanted to do something to honor her,” Hanson says. “This opportunity to bring national exposure to the work of the AFSP means a lot to me and my family.” Hanson has set up a fund in Susie’s name with the goal to raise $60,000 in 60 days by selling 60 homes. He will personally donate $1,000 of each commission to fuel the fundraising.

The non-profit AFSP focuses on suicide prevention initiatives through groundbreaking research, educational
campaigns, innovative demonstration projects and critical policy work. The organization has 42 chapters across the country and provides assistance and support to families affected by suicide. They report that 34,000 Americans die from suicide each year, with one suicide attempt taking place every minute.

“My team and I are very excited about this challenge,” Hanson says. “The AFSP is doing incredible work to help raise awareness of the signs and impact of suicide on American families. With the alarming rate of suicides especially now among our war veterans, it’s critical to make people aware.”

Despite the slowly recovering real estate market, Hanson believes his challenge is realistic. “It’s an aggressive goal, yes. But I didn’t get on The Apprentice by aiming low,” he says.

NBC reality show The Apprentice pits the best and brightest of today’s business professionals against each other as they compete for a job with The Trump Group, headed by billionaire real estate mogul Donald Trump. The last three seasons the show has focused exclusively on celebrity editions where the prize money is donated to charities.

This year, the producers have returned to featuring regular Americans who were hit hard by the recession and are in search of a career comeback. Hanson was chosen as one of 16 contestants out of 500,000 applicants.

“Being on The Apprentice really inspired me to model this fundraising after the business challenges we face on the show,” Hanson explains. “I wanted to carry the spirit of the show into this cause.”

“If someone is going to buy a home, they’ll need an agent. When they buy, that agent will get a commission. This is an opportunity to let that commission do something great by supporting a worthy cause,” Hanson says. Hanson has been a top producing real estate agent and broker in Minnesota and Wisconsin for more than 10 years. His experience includes owning a multi-million dollar private real estate firm as well as serving as a business development director for Lakeplace.com and later on for a national real estate company.

People can also donate to the AFSP Susie Hanson Fund anonymously by visiting www.wadehanson.com. “It isn’t
necessary to buy a home to contribute,” points out Wade.

Hanson’s parents, Brian and Jayne Hanson, are also highly involved in helping the AFSP and serve on the board of the organization’s Fargo, North Dakota chapter.

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources