The secret of happiness: A Basement of One's Own

Nadalee
My basement makes me happy. That's because my basement is my own personal "Art Cave."

Nobody else comes down here much - except for me. The floor is comprised of an ugly gray tile floor that we intend to replace with a nice cozy rug when we get around to it.

This tile floor isn't very comfortable and it's as cold as a slab of ice in the winter. So yes, a rug would be nice. However, a rug might invite the rest of my family down, so I don't mind the tile for now.

The furniture situation is also less than ideal. One might even call it "sparse." There is a total of one desk culled from a garage sale, and one chair, culled from someone's garbage.

Plus the lighting stinks. Can lights were installed in the ceiling by the previous home owner, and they always burn out way too quickly.

Nonetheless, this less than perfect "lair" is all mine! The desk sports a big messy box of acrylic paints, watercolors,paint brushes, glitter, a mug of water, a roll of paper towels, and a pad of art paper. My finished artwork sits up on a shelf, snaking it's way around the room; a colorful and always changing display of my burgeoning talent.

I don't think any of my work is quite good enough to hang upstairs...yet. But for the basement, it's just fine. I can gaze at Purple Cat, Red Elephant, Surreal Deer, Magenta Tulips in Jar, Three Faceless Ballerinas, White Fox, and Love Birds Under Textured Sky any time I want.

Down here, I am the artiste I always dreamed of being. Down here, I can make a mess and it doesn't matter. I can get paint on the ugly gray tile floor, because after all, it will be replaced...eventually. I can be creative without Spongebob Squarepants blasting in my ear or listening to my husband's endless rants about the upcoming election.

Sometimes our cat Princess ventures down to use the litter-box, but that's okay. I'm the one who cleans out the litter-box anyway, so it's just convenient that I'm already here.

As women, we spend so much time worrying about making others happy that it's easy to forget what makes us happy. That's why it's nice - or should I say, essential - to have, as Virginia Wolfe called it, "A room of one's own"....somewhere to explore our inner talents; to meditate, to exercise without feeling foolish, to write our hearts out, or to paint a picture of a girl in a green hat wearing a polk-a-dot dress if we so desire.

In my case, that room is my basement. It may not look like paradise to you. But really, paradise is what you make it, and I have made it a room with a cold gray tile floor, burned out lights, some ugly furniture, a litter box, messy art supplies, and a never ending display of creativity. I'll take it!

Comment by annbaby11

Hello good day, i will like to meet you in person, am miss Anna, am from France and am leaving in London, please contact me on my email id at ([email protected]), for more information about me.
because i have some important thing i will like to discuss with you privately.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Anna,
thanks
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:57:15 AM
Comment by christine92

I like the way of your thinking - I can totally agree with you
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 6:08:34 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources