How I Perfectly Executed My Move after Graduating

HRoberts
Moving out of university was probably the most ‘adult’ thing I had ever organised to date and I’ll be honest, it was scary! For a start, the state of my student digs wasn’t great and resembled more a bombsite than a living space! I really didn’t know where to start but I didn’t want to have to call my parents and have them bale me out. It was time to make my first step into the grown-up world using my own initiative. Hence scary!
I went on to Google and searched for a local removals company to get an idea of how much this was all going to cost me! I wasn’t exactly rolling in it after three years’ partying and studying (in that order). I got a free quote from each of them after giving them a brief description of what I had to go and was delighted at the low prices.
However, they each told me to rationalise my things and work out exactly what I had in order for them to give me a completely accurate price for a man and van team. It took more than a week to go through the piles of things strewn all over the place but it proved a great exercise. By doing that I was able to eliminate more than half the things I thought I had to take. I also managed to make a bit of money by selling the text books I no longer needed to first year students.
When I finished that process I called the removal companies again to get a more accurate price and an idea of when they could do the job. They gave me some fantastic deals and it was quite difficult to choose. In the end, I went for a moving company I had heard of in the local area because they had been around for years. It’s got to be a good sign when a company has been around a while right?
I was actually surprisingly organised on the day of my move! I wasn’t hungover or anything but that was mainly because I was determined to make sure everything went smoothly. Mind you, the man and van team were so professional I didn’t have to get involved at all! They took apart a desk unit I had too so that they could load it easily. What would have taken me a few hours, took them minutes and was pack into the removal van in no time.
When we arrived at the destination, the process was reversed and everything unpacked really quickly. My parents were really impressed and the reason I say that is because I was moving back to Mum and Dad’s haha. One step at a time into adulthood for me!
Using a professional house mover meant that I saved myself a whole load of grief trying to do it myself. I would never have thought to go through my things and sort out what I wanted but I recommend it to anyone who is moving house. It can work out well financially too and I would never have thought to sell my textbooks had I not been forced into making the decision for my moving checklist.
All I can say is that if the laziest, most un-organised person like me can manage to organise a house move and have no problem at all – anyone can! Just look online at a local directory for removal services in your area and put in your postcode and you’ll see a good selection of professionals to choose from. Don’t assume it will be expensive either because I managed it on a student budget, ie a massive overdraft at that stage in my life!
Comment by sarahcoughlante

Great article!
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:02:13 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources