Lawn Mower Love Affair

Charles Hartley

Lawn Mower Love Affair

My wife gave me a chore to rake the leaves in the front yard that day -- or move out of the house.

The thought of raking leaves haunts me. As a kid my Dad would force all of his kids to rake leaves for hours on several autumn weekends – every year. The most annoying part was his approach. He would be extra cheerful. This aggravated us.

So when my wife gave me this assignment, I asked: How can I get those leaves off the lawn without having to rake them? Ah, the lawn mower. Even if the mower didn’t catch all the leaves, it was worth a try.

I started mowing the leaves with my grass/leaf catcher on. When I cut the grass, I don’t like to use the bag because it’s more work. Chores must end fast. In this case, however, the catcher became my friend.

My idea proved ingenious. The mower whipped those leaves around at supersonic speed and shot them into the bag. There were a few remnants of churned leaves still showing in the grass but not enough for the naked eye to detect. As far as I was concerned there were no leaves in the grass. Everything looked clean. You see what you want to see.

This success story gets better. As I stopped the mower because the bag became full, I thought about how smart it is to not take care of your lawn or the surrounding shrubs, weeds, trees, and woods. It is smart because you don’t have to walk far from the mower to find a socially acceptable place to dump the shredded leaves.

Virtually everywhere is a good place to dump the leaves because demarcation points between leaves, grass, plants and tree branches are ambiguous. Dumping leaves onto another pile of leaves cleanses my mind; it’s sort of like taking a bubble bath. There is something spiritual about it. If my lawn was better manicured, I would have to search harder and walk up to 50 steps to find a place to drop the leaves.

After finishing cutting the lawn leaves, I confronted an obstacle. Crammed near my garage door was a pile of leaves. In an awkward location, sort of like hitting behind a tree in golf, I thought this would force me to use a rake.

Maneuvering a mower to get these leaves chopped would take technical skill. Feeling stubborn, I told myself that I had made it this far without touching a rake and would finish without one.

A lawn mower mesmerizes because it creates a wind tunnel when you bend back the handles, tilt it up, and let the blade be free to shoot its tornado. This is what I did. It spun up those leaves. It shot them to locations where I could run the mower over them and get them fired into the bag.

When it snows, I plan to shovel the driveway with my lawnmower.

Congratulations! Great approach (vs leaf blower) and essay.
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:18:54 AM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources