What to expect during a remodeling project

DennisMarshall
Planning a remodeling project? There’s one thing you should know above all, they never go exactly according to plan. That said, there are a few things you can pretty much expect whether you’re remodeling your kitchen, refreshing the look of your bathrooms, or adding on a master suite. Here are a few things you can expect and how to plan for them.
Higher cost
A remodeling project never costs less than you expected. There are always hidden costs and setbacks that arise during a project. During the demolition phase, for instance, you may uncover some problems that need to be addressed. You can prepare for this by leaving some wiggle room in your budget for these unforeseen costs. When planning your remodel, set your budget lower than one you can actually afford. That way, when problems arise and you go over budget, you can still afford to finish the remodel without cutting corners.
One project leads to another
Homeowners doing a remodeling project for the first time might be surprised at how easily a project begins in one room and ends on the opposite side of the house. Once you get started with a remodeling project, it’s easy to get carried away and letting one project lead right into another one. If you’ve got room in your remodeling project for several projects, there is nothing wrong with this. However, try to avoid taking on too many projects at once, even if they’re small ones. As a general rule, focus on completing one room at a time and one project at a time before moving on to other projects and other rooms.
Be open to change
As a remodeling project unfolds, new ideas may occur to you. Though you should always have a clear plan down on paper before a remodeling project, you should know that it’s pretty common for that plan to change throughout the project. Be open to suggestions from your remodelers and be open to ideas that occur to you during the project.
Passed deadlines
A good remodeling plan includes a time frame of when the various parts of the project will be completed. Just as you should expect to go over budget, you should expect the project to exceed deadlines. Don’t get too excited about things being done exactly on time. Don’t make plans to go on vacation the day after the remodeling project is supposed to be finished as that can lead to increased stress. Plan on things taking a little extra time and if the project does ultimately finish on time or a few days early, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Lots of stress
No matter how well you’ve planned your remodeling project and how prepared you feel for the experience, stressful feelings will arise. There will be days that you wake up and just wish it could all be over with already. Focus on staying calm and make time to enjoy life and get out of the house and away from the mess so you can cope with the stress.
Interior Decorating and Remodeling News Brought to You by BaseBoardRadiatorCover.com
Source: jsonline.com/features/home/tips-on-what-to-expect-during-kitchen-remodeling-b99471745z1-298954641.html

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources