The Hunt for Home

michness
My husband (which, to be honest, is still a little weird to say) and I have recently begun looking for a new place to live. We currently stay in a one bedroom, one bath apartment, and were hoping to upgrade a two bedroom apartment in the winter when the prices on apartments go down. But here's the problem: prices weren't going down. In fact, they were going up. Way up.

After anxiously waiting for a price drop that wasn't coming for two months, we took a step back. What about buying? We weren't really sure where to begin, aside from obsessively looking on Trulia, so we got in touch with a realtor.

With our price range and income, we can really only look at condos. Still, a home is a home! Yesterday we saw 6 condos. One we hated (it stunk, literally, and the second bedroom overlooked the living room for some reason), two were unremarkable, two were great, and one... we fell in love. It had everything we wanted: vaulted ceilings, an amazing kitchen (complete with a wine fridge... something we never knew we wanted), two bedrooms with full bathrooms, a balcony overlooking the woods, fireplace... The best part of all is that the price is amazing. We had a lender run the numbers for us and our monthly mortgage payments would actually be LESS than what we're paying now.

I'm a sucker for a great deal. We opted not to write an offer letter right then and there, if only because I was afraid to commit. That night I called my mom to keep her in the loop and she basically said, "Don't you think this is all moving kind of quickly?"

Yes. Absolutely. It's only been about two weeks or so since we got in touch with our realtor, but do I pass up on this opportunity just because it's happening quickly? Is there some sort of unspoken, standard timeline that we're supposed to following for home-buying?

The answer is no, of course. When it feels right, it feels right. But now I've got my mom's words, and my own suppressed anxiety and nerves about the situation, boiling up and I'm wondering... maybe we should wait.

If all else is right, I wouldn't be overly concerned about moving too quickly. I'm sure you've read up on the ins and outs of condominium ownership, a topic I'm most definitely not up on. As I remember, though, the biggest concerns were the Homewners Association finances (what shared assessments or increases are you going to get hit with?) and the relative number of condos occupied by renters (too high, suggesting less care and concern). The overriding question for any home purchase is how long you expect to be in place.

Years ago, my daughter and son-in-law compared buying vs rental, bought a house, then...oops!...they were hit with a large overdue property tax increase, putting a strain on their budget. Be conservative with your numbers. And good luck!
Posted: Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:39:43 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources